public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:07 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Leaping help!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2001 2:29 pm 

Hi! I cannto do split leaps from the side! My back leg is always lower and bent! I try so hard to keep it up, but it is so hard! I am ok with it for front leaps. My front leg is fine, but my back leg is looks so bad! Any tips or tricks to keep it straight and leveled? Thanks!<BR>

Post subject: Re: Leaping help!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2001 3:54 pm 

DanceDiva - are you talking about grand jeté?<P>Is that what you are having trouble with keeping your back leg up?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2001 6:15 am 

Hey! I have no idea. I have never danced before in my life until now, which I dance for my school so I have absolutely no idea, but if a grand jete involves you split leaping-I think that's it! How on earth do you do it? I am struggling so bad. Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2001 7:33 am 

If I understand you correctly, DanceDiva - you have not had any dance classes since you seem to be saying that you have never danced before?<P>That would be the answer to your struggles. That's why people go to dance class - to learn how to do these things.<P>There is nothing I can tell you that will accomplish this overnight. People go to dance class for years to learn how to execute these kinds of leaps. It takes a great deal of strength, flexibility and knowledge. <P>You need to learn how to do these things under the supervision of a good teacher.<P>Or did I misunderstand you?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2001 12:13 pm 

No, you understood me right. I would love to take dance classes, but I am paying over $1000 for POMS at my school by myself and I really can't afford to take any other classes. So...you got any tips? Something I can build on and not just do it overnight?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2001 12:39 pm 

DanceDiva - I really hesitate in how to answer you - I want to help you - but I also don't want to hurt you.<P>What you are trying to do is usually done under the supervision of a teacher. There is a great deal in involved. How you warm up is very important. A dancer would NEVER just go out there and leap around. Also it has to do with turning out and where that occurs and how it is used.<P>It has to do with how the leap is landed - the plié, the position of the feet. And what kind of floor your are jumping on. What kind of shoes you are wearing. What comes before the jump and what comes after it. <P>It can take a dancer many years until the grand jeté is satisfactory - and then the dancer keeps working on it. <P>I just can't take a chance and tell you something without supervision, without a teacher that you can check it out with. A teacher who can watch you and see to it that you are doing this carefully. <P>I don't want you to get hurt. Are you getting any instruction at all at school? Is anyone helping you? Watching you? Surely you are not expected to just do this without instruction are you? <P>I would wonder about anyone expecting this from you, without adequate instruction.<P>You see my dilemma? I want to help you - but I can't take a chance and hurt you. <P>Maybe someone else has a better thought on this than I do.<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2001 2:12 pm 

I agree totally with basheva - if you are not having classes and have never had classes then you should not be attempting things like grand jetes and it would be wrong of us to give advice that could end up injuring you.<P>Perhaps you are having tuition at school?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2001 4:45 pm 

Very tactful, Basheva. Kinda hard to want to be helpful but also cautious because you don't want her to get hurt.<P>I think that I'm understanding that Dance Diva is on a drill/pom team and a split leap is in their routine. Dance Diva, I would suggest that you approach your team captain or one of the officers to help you with your split leap. I'm hoping that the person you approach has some dance background and will be able to give you GOOD corrections and advise.<p>[This message has been edited by ahallmark (edited June 26, 2001).]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2001 11:29 am 

Dance diva no-one wants to discourage you but we just want to make sure that what you are doing is safe and will not injure you and perhaps cause problems in later life.<P>I think you should follow AHallmark advice and ask your instructor. Hopefully they will be knowledgeable and be able to help.<P>Look forward to hearing from you again.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2001 2:17 pm 

(Sigh), Ok. I appreciate everyones' input and suggestions, thanks!<p>[This message has been edited by DanceDiva (edited June 29, 2001).]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]