public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:05 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: What should I be able to do?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:47 pm 

Hello,
I'd like to take beginning ballet lessons sometime in the near future. I'm trying to keep the money spent to a minimum, so I want to know what I should do to prepare for lessons so that I can progress rapidly. I have good natural turnout, very good arches (though I have no desire to dance en pointe), and have a good ear for music. I don't want to dance in performances, this is something just-for-me.

I'm planning on taking classes twice a week for an hour and a half, and then probably working at it nearly every other day of the week in the aerobics room at my gym.

How flexible should I be before I begin? Should I work on balance? Should I listen to classical music to get more of a feel for it? Watch ballet performances? Should I work my legs to make the muscles stronger? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: What should I be able to do?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:50 pm 

Hi nysq, and welcome! I think it wonderful that you have an interest in dance and are excited to begin your study. Enthusiam counts for a lot, and you do seem to possess this! I wouldn't worry too much about what to do in preparation. Just begin your classes and try to be consistent with them. This is very important. If you wanted to attend some performances to appreciate what you are beginning to learn, this would be interesting and fun for you, I believe, but not necessary if you are worried about expenses. There are some good videos you could rent and enjoy! I just rented the 1957 Bolshoi "Swan Lake" from Netflix and enjoyed it very much. Good luck and keep us posted on your experience!

<small>[ 18 April 2005, 01:04 AM: Message edited by: GN ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]