public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:10 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Pointe shoe shanks
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 1:06 pm 

What are the advantages to super soft, soft, medium, or hard shanks? In what case would I want a softer shank? I'm not sure whether I should get a soft shank are a medium shank when I get new shoes.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Pointe shoe shanks
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 1:18 pm 

Theoretically it works this way....<P>A hard shank provides the most support. However, I have found both for me and my students, a hard shank is difficult to work with - to roll up or roll down. Or to mold to the foot.<P>A soft shank should really only be used by an advanced dancer, in my opinion. <P>A medium shank generally provides adequate support while still allowing the dancer to use her feet, maintain control, roll up and roll down. <P>Those, I think, are the general guidelines. The best person to judge what kind of shoe you need is your teacher.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 1:20 pm 

If you do a search on "shanks" in both the Studio and Students' Questions - you will find a number of threads that discusses this.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 2:00 pm 

I want to get some Grishko 2007's next week- and they have them from super soft to hard shank. My capezios were a medium (regular?) shank. I'm not sure what would happen if I got a soft shank (and I think those shoes might be 3/4,too). My feet are strong, and not the greatest looking feet on pointe-but there is some flexibility there(I make them look better than they actually do when i dance Image). Would I have trouble with ankle strength doing the eleves and releves or something? Like what exactly is different from a regular shank, and what does it take to get a softer shank? I don't mind getting a medium, if a soft shank would cause me injury or<BR> something!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 2:01 pm 

that's what I meant to say1 (I just remembered): WHY would the soft shank be used by a more advanced dancer?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 2:22 pm 

I would not recommend that a beginner - or even an intermediate student on pointe - get a soft shank.<P>A couple of reasons that an advanced dancer could deal with a softer shank is her feet would be stronger, her placement more correctly held. Also if she is a member of a company - the company pays for the shoes in many cases. A softer shank generally speaking, wears out more quickly.<P>In class I always used a medium shank - for performance too. I, myself, would consider using a soft shank for a performance of fairly short duration. For instance, if a dancer is doing Swan Lake - it is not usual for the ballerina to go through 2-3 prs of pointe shoes in ONE PERFORMANCE. However, the company pays for those shoes.<P>And in many cases, professional dancers might have their shoes specially made for them by their favorite cobblers.<P>For those of us, who pay for our own shoes, need the support through class and rehearsal work...a medium shank is a good choice. In my opinion.<P>Especially if you are a beginner. All this should be checked out with your teacher.<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 11:42 pm 

i made the mistake to buy pointe shoes with hard shank last year...big mistake! I can't use them properly. And I find it hard to dance in them, so I 'll have to buy new ones. Don't try it!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 10:45 pm 

Why would you want a soft shank at all? So that you can point your feet more easily in the shoe?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2001 5:50 am 

Katheryn - yes, it does enhance how the foot looks. So, the dancer has to make a compromise between support and looks.<P>I have read that Margot Fonteyn liked her pointe shoes to be almost as soft as bedroom slippers. She said it aided her balance as she could feel the floor - so she liked both box and shank to be soft.<P>However, though I know she danced almost to her 60's (if I remember correctly) when she retired she could hardly walk. Perhaps using soft shoes all those years was detrimental to her ability to walk later on.<P>I think that a too hard shank, as Annie says, is also detrimental. That seems to make the foot struggle too much. Either extreme seems to have problems.<P>

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]