public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:32 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Grand jetes
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2001 6:55 am 

I was wondering if anyone here knew how to improve my grand jetes. To the right, it looks as if I'm in a perfect split but to the left, it looks as if i'm in a upside down large v. Thanks for any help!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Grand jetes
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2001 8:53 am 

I have the same problem. I think you just have to work on the flexibility of the left side. I cant seem to get the front leg up but my bak leg is ready and willing to be in the air.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2001 11:43 am 

There is always, always one side that is more flexible or stronger than the other side. That's just the way it is. However, you can help that by trying to strengthen or stretch the side that is not so.<P>When you are doing any kind of jump, always check on the preparation for the jump. The power for the jump is in the preparation. If you have trouble getting the back leg up in a grand jeté, don't throw the front leg too high, that will impede the lift of the back leg. <P>Be sure to keep your body lifted through the jump. Also, try inhaling at the height of your jump. That also helps.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2001 5:12 am 

Yes, ofcourse one of the legs is always 'better'. But I think, in grande jeté, it's also the difficulty of kicking up the back leg. So, what helped me a lot, was thinking of a grand battement derriére from the moment I was on the highest point in the air. And when you feel you start lowering, SPLIT! your legs another time, that gives a nice look because you are longer in the air. I hope this was an advise not only for me, but also for you Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2001 5:51 am 

That's a very good image, Anastasia - we called that "the second split". Inhaling as you do that will also help.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2001 3:55 pm 

For grand jetes, practice grand batttements front and back a lot. Use the rhythm of "quick up, down slow". Meaning,the kick part (going up) should be fast, the coming down, shold be done slow, with control. This will build strength in the appropriate muscles to approximate the grand jete. Remember, one of the goals of grand battment is to "make the leg feel/look" light. Give the appearance of lightness, which will assist greatly in the grand jete!!! That;s what I tell my students.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]