public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:05 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Summer time.....
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2001 12:15 am 

My performance was yesterday, and my dance workshop has finished Image But it was a great performance! Image<BR>Anyway, now that it's summertime, I don't want to lose everything I gained-and worked so hard for- during the year and the workshop. I want to keep in shape until September but I don't know what to do. I don't really have a lot of space at home. And I have heard people say that it's a waste of time doing ballet alone as there is not a teacher to correct your mistakes. Well, in that case what can I do? I would hate to go my dance school in September and have to start all over again.

Post subject: Re: Summer time.....
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2001 5:16 am 

Congratulations on the performance, Annie!!<P>I can guarantee you that you will not be starting all over again. I am very much older than you (really an old lady) and I was away because of an injury for three years, and I went back after that three years and I did NOT have to start all over.<P>It is a good idea to let the body rest. You can do something else - like swim, ride a bike, walk a lot. Then when you are warmed up you can gently and carefully stretch. That will help to keep you in shape.<P>When you can back to dance, your body will remember the technique - you will remember how to pirouette, and you will find that your muscles are rested and probably looser in many ways. It will probably take you a couple of weeks to get your stability and full flexibility back.....but two weeks or so is NOT a long time.<P>You could also take this time to read books about dance and that will add a great deal to your dancing. <P>Enjoy your time off.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2001 11:07 pm 

The problem is that there is an audition on the 27 of August for the ballet Coppelia(sp?) and I really want to be selected. I cannot understand why the organisers put the audition at the end of a summer. Isn't this wrong?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2001 5:38 am 

Well, Annie, I have to say I agree with you, putting an audition after a break doesn't make good sense to me at all. Maybe there was something else that they had to consider. Is it possible for you to call the people running the audition and asking their advice.<P>Is there anywhere else you can go to get some classes? Perhaps some private lessons? As a last resort perhaps you could get together with some of your friends or you could give yourself a very basic barre. If you keep things simple then you will be better able to keep your attention on doing them correctly.<P>It would surely be a wonderful experience to be in the ballet - and I wish you lots of luck.<P>

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]