public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:57 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Late starter audition for kirov/bolshoi ballet?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:03 pm 

As a late starter would I still be able to audition for one of the top companies.

I mean I started at 15.I am now 16 and joining a professional part time school in Ireland.

I know there is probably very little chance of this ever happening but I was just wondering could it be a possibility?

Are there any late starter in top companies? :)

<small>[ 27 June 2004, 05:45 AM: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

Post subject: Re: Late starter audition for kirov/bolshoi ballet?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:48 pm 

As a late starter you should think about Nureyev who did start till he was 20ish I believe and he could have danced anywhere he wanted. I say if you have the drive nothing can stop you from anything
~K~

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:16 am 

Thanks KyleS, that was really encouraging. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 3:24 am 

It sounds as though you are taking all the right steps to take your dancing as far as it will go, Megan and the key thing is to work hard, take care of your body and your feet, taking full regard that you have only been dancing for a year.

I hate to be a killjoy Megan, but dancers and dance students need to be realistic. The entrants to the Kirov/Bolshoi are usually trained in their own schools, but sometimes these companies accept exceptional students from other major schools in the old Soviet world, such as Perm, which follow the Vaganova system. I am not aware of any instances of young dancers from outside the Vaganova training circuit joining these companies.

I'm in favour of people aiming high, but achievability is also important. For example, in the days when I played a lot of competitive table-tennis, I was aware that my goal through hard work and dedication was Division 1 in a provincial city league rather than playing for England. Eventually I achieved my goal for a couple of seasons and I was very pleased.

Regarding Nureyev, we should bear in mind that before he took up ballet he had seriously studied Russian folk dancing with its huge jumps and complex footwork. In addition, he entered Russian ballet when the influence of folk dance was very strong through people like Vakhtang Chabukiani.

Keep working hard and enjoying your dancing Magan and when it feels right talk to your teachers about how they see your future, your prospects and the best options to help achieve your aspirations.

<small>[ 27 June 2004, 11:32 AM: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 6:47 am 

Thanks stuart, everytime I post a question you always give me an inspirational reply!

thanks from
meganxxx

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:32 am 

Just for the record, Nureyev began studying ballet well before the age of 20. See his biography at nureyev.org.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:39 am 

I've combined two topics on similar themes:

Megan posted 30 June 2004 05:03 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am sorry and i know i keep goin on about it but i was just wondering is there any stories about late starters aged 15 or over (female) that made a career out of ballet? I mean becoming a professional dancer.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

djb posted 30 June 2004 05:36 PM
I've read that Melissa Hayden, former and longtime principal of NYCB, started at 15.

Megan posted 01 July 2004 08:17 AM
Thanks djb!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:51 am 

I dont know how much of a success I am but I took my first dance class at age 17, I just turned 22 and have been working here and there as a dancer and teacher since I left the Ailey school about 2 years ago. I'm far from being a finished product, I dont think dancers ever are, and still take as many classes as I can when ever I can. I had dreams of ABT at one point like all dancers do, but with age as come the realization that I just dont have the training and trying to play catch up at this point is counterproductive, now I'm just aiming for a position in any little co. but I will never give up the dream and if ABT were to call tomorrow I'd have to think about it but probably would accept :)
~K~

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:08 pm 

And then there is Royal Winnipeg Ballet star Evelyn Hart, who began at 14.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 2:16 pm 

Thanks guys, u were really helpful!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]