public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:55 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: swimming
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2001 5:30 pm 

Hello all! <BR>A little while ago, I decided to start swimming to build up strength and stamina. (Swimming is one of the best workouts you can get. Besides dace of course Image )Anyway, It's only been a few days, and already I'm starting to see an improvement! My arms and legs are strdier and have a much nicer muscle definition. What are your opinions on this?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: swimming
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2001 6:33 pm 

I think that swimming has always been considered excellent exercise as well as a wonderful skill.<P>And, I also believe it has always been considered to go together well with dancing. <P>And - it's lots of fun!! So enjoy!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2001 11:18 pm 

Yes because of the support the water gives you it is considered good for all types of athletes - it can also have a very calming effect I feel.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2001 5:56 am 

I swam masters level for years then stopped. I got back into the pool as a way to build strength so I could start Pas classes this fall. I soon found how much I missed being in the water. You're right. A good swim regiment can build muscle and definition very fast. It's also become my little "zen" time away from the grind of my job. <P>Ed

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2001 6:22 am 

My husband was a competitive swimmer - on the Navy's swim team and an instructor at one point. It's a skill that never leaves - he still swims like a shark in the water. It's beautiful to watch.<P>He tells me that when he was training and swimming multiple laps, it was so calming that he would almost fall asleep. <P>I can't think of any negatives, except take care of your ears - sometimes they can get "swimmer's ear".<p>[This message has been edited by Basheva (edited July 14, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2001 6:45 pm 

While we're talking about swimming, i have a question.<P>If you are a very good swimmer and have done swimming all your life, when your 2 - 13 years and then you start dancing at 14, how does swimming affect your dancing?<BR>Is it good? What are your thoughts on this? <BR>Would you still be able to make a professional career out of dancing if you done this?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2001 4:36 am 

I can't think of any reason why not.<P>Anyone else have any insights on this?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2001 5:27 am 

Well, one of my very best friends is a swimmer...and I have always told her she would make a great dancer.<P>Swimming has made her very flexible and very strong. She has excellent stamina (she can hold her breath for SO LONG). Her back and stomach muscles are excellent - she has the best posture. And her turn out is a perfect 180 - and she has the muscles to hold and use it, too.<P>She started dance classes in college - and hasn't looked back Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2001 1:02 pm 

I swam from 8 to 12 before i had to move, and I still swim. Swimming helps me tremendously, I've found.It's taught me how to breath. (Holding my breath is a talent I have. I have surprisingly strong lungs.) Since I started swimming at an early age, (combined with genetics) Has kept my stregth and stamina up. Swimming is also an excelent way to relax.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]