public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:59 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: switch splits etc
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2001 5:09 am 

Hi everyone.!!!!! <BR>I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how to do better switch splits? I can't seem to get the front leg up and I need to work on this. My switching leg is fine, but..<BR>thanks<BR>crystal

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: switch splits etc
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2001 7:09 am 

Can you explain 'switching splits' to me? Do you mean if you're in a split with your right leg in front, turning your body, trough egarde, so, that the left leg will be in front?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2001 7:20 am 

Hi, if you see a reply in the wrong place I'm sorry, i put hit the wrong button.<BR>Switch splits are when you kick the right(or left) leg forward, bring it through and try to split with the front leg. (am I confusing you ???)Mayube you call the m switch leaps???

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2001 7:27 am 

HUH? Is it a jump or a barre exersize?<BR>As I understand it now, at one moment, after you kicked the first leg back and the second, standing leg fornt, both are in the air like in a grand jeté. Am I right?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2001 9:24 am 

In another thread which I think Dancerchic meant to post here this is what she posted:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><BR> posted May 16, 2001 09:18 <P><BR>switch splits are when you kick you right (or left) leg forward and then kick the same leg back and try to split with the front leg (?????0 am I confusing you? Maybe you call them switch leaps.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>and this what Anastasia replied:<BR> <P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>posted May 16, 2001 09:24 <P><BR>You mean a grand battement en cloche? That is a grand battement (high kick) with for example left to front, and the sweeping it trough 1st, a grand battement with the same leg to back. But, you bescribed this till this point, but i still don't get the split thing. So, you did a battement front, back, and while the left leg is in the air, you split your right one? How can you split one leg LOL? Oh god, guess i'm a bit silly today. <BR>Eh, i don't know what are leaps at all, because we use only french names at our studio, so quite a lot of things at this forum are strange for me, but most of the time i understand it <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR> <P><p>[This message has been edited by Basheva (edited May 16, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2001 9:33 am 

Dancerchic - do you mean a grand jeté - and at the height of the grand jeté while you are in the air - you switch your legs? <P>Or are you talking about a tour jeté, where the legs switch in the air as your body turns?<p>[This message has been edited by Basheva (edited May 16, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2001 9:55 am 

Haha, it´s getting very confusing here.<BR>I also don´t know what a switch split is.<P>By the way, Anastasia, you are not the only one. We also only use French terms so I sometimes don´t know what is ment by the English words.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2001 10:22 am 

Elleke - we use French terms in ballet class too - however, some people have not as yet learned the words.<P>If you have trouble understanding English words - ask - all of us will be happy to try to help you. By the way, your English is terrific.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2001 11:16 am 

Ok, i will try to use french terms. If you were doing a right leg switch leap you would shase with with your right leg do a grand jete with your left leg in front but switch it to a grand jete with your right leg in front in the air.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2001 11:56 am 

Switch leap is more of a jazz/freestyle term. For those you need to have good elevation and you would need to be able to perform a good grand jete/split leap first.<P>A good preparation into the leap is essential to gain height and momentum - so plenty of bend and flexibility in the knees on the preparation is a must and a good push and stretch of the feet as you go upwards. But I would say to begin with make sure your grand jete position is sound before attempting the switch version.<P>I have found that with leaps visualisation of myself doing the leap has helped a lot and also making sure that your whole body projects upwards on the preparation and the actual leap itself has always helped me.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2001 12:02 pm 

Joanne is absolutely right - the preparation is paramount - and the grand jeté has to be solid before you attempt to do the switch.<P>You have to keep the torso, your upper body, very lifted - even an extra lift at the <BR>time of the switch, and inhale - that will help. On the initial throw of the front leg - don't throw it too high - think of "out" rather than "high". Reach forward with that leg. <P>So when you take off for the grand jeté and throw your first leg into the air in front of you - aim out rather than up. If that initial leg is thrown too high into the air, it is too difficult, and it takes too long to bring it back down for the switch.<P>I seldom taught these - I found them very hard on the knees upon landing the jump. But I know a lot of people do teach them regularly. I don't think I have ever seen a woman ballet dancer do them in performance. Men, yes, women, no.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2001 1:29 pm 

I have to say too that I have never taught these - the floor I have to use is not forgiving enough I feel for the force of landing a leap like this will present. But I think what has been said so far can be applied to almost all leaps so is a useful guide for that.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2001 4:55 am 

Ok I think we are talking about an entrelacé, aren't we?!<P><BR>And eh, WHAT'S A LEAP?<p>[This message has been edited by Anastasia (edited May 17, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2001 6:16 am 

Anastasia - here in the United States we often take the jump - "grand jeté entournant entrelacé" and we call it "tour jeté".<P>A leap is a jump that goes somewhere like a grand jeté. It moves through space laterally rather than straight up and down. A changement is a jump, a grand jeté is a leap. Sort of - LOL. The French words are much more specific for the ballet - when we start using English we get into trouble don't we? LOL<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2001 7:43 am 

For all you die hard frenchies out there<P><BR>At our studio we call switch leaps Grande Jete de Ciseaux. Ciseaux is normally said in reference to a Pas de Ciseaux which is WAY to hard for me to do much less explain, but point is the ciseaux refers to the scissor action of the leg.<P>~K~

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next