public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:13 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Yikes - this sounds scary!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2001 4:33 am 

I have developed a fear of fungus. A teacher recently told me that years ago she caught a toenail fungus from her husband and had to give up pointework forever because of it. Can you reassure me that it must have been an extreme case? How does one catch it and treat it? Thanks for any information you may have, and please excuse my paranoia.<BR><p>[This message has been edited by Sissonne (edited July 26, 2001).]

Post subject: Re: Yikes - this sounds scary!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2001 5:15 am 

Sissone, Could you explain to me why your teacher had to give up pointe work forever? What does it do to your feet that your not able to go en pointe anymore?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2001 6:05 am 

SalimaC,<BR>I was not given all the gory details, but she did say that she had lost toenails, and I guess they never grew back properly.<BR>

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2001 7:00 am 

Toenail fungus is really ubiquitous - so I was told by a doctor. That means everyone has it - but not everyone "gets" it. It needs an opportunity to implant - like a damaged nail. It also needs moisture and darkness. Of course being a dancer is ideal for a fungus - sweaty feet, and sometimes a damaged nail from dancing.<P>I have known many, many dancers with this but NO ONE that I have ever known has had to quit dancing and/or pointe because of it. It does damage the nail and the nail bed. The nail grows in very thick an discolored. <P>There is topical medication, but it really doesn't work very well. You can have the nail removed under anesthesia and have it all cleaned out, but that is no guarantee that it will not grow back. And, anesthesia is never to be undertaken lightly. There is also a pill for this, but liver damage is possible and must be monitored.<P>As for the fungus itself - while it is unsightly - it is fairly benign - it doesn't itch, doesn't hurt - so one must balance whether medical intervention is worth the risks. <P>So while dancers are prone to this, it is by no means restricted to dancers. <P>My information is a few years old, so there might be more up to date information on this condition.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2001 4:00 am 

Thank you, Basheva. I feel better now. :-)<BR>

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]