public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:18 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: want to start ballet
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:52 pm 

Hi, I am new to this site as well as need some advice.
I have always secretly in my heart wanted to become a ballerina, but for exercise and fun. I was when I was a little Tina but was too fat and lost interest. Well now I am a mom and people would say I am fit, but the problem is I am going to be 32 in a couple of weeks.. OH NO!! I do not feel it either. My question is I want to know if I am too old to start? If so then I need to sit back and just read. Otherwise, I need to know where to start living in the upper peninsula:-)?

Post subject: Re: want to start ballet
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:52 am 

To old to start? Of course not!

Too old to be the next rising star of the New York City Ballet? Probably. =D

-A

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:58 am 

I'm not a dancer, but everyone I have heard agrees on the subject with ari that "it's never too late" to start dancing for enjoyment, fitness and spiritual well-being. Pointe work will probably be off the agenda, but that leaves a heck of a lot. Go for it!

As this is a subject better suited to our "Students; Questions and Experiences" forum, I shall move it there. Look to the left above this topic for the link.

<small>[ 15 September 2004, 02:00 PM: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:25 pm 

Hi love to dance and welcome to CD from me too. You are never too old to start taking dance classes. Please let us know how you get on.

I agree with Stuart and Ari, go for it!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:16 am 

Quote:
Originally posted by love to dance:
Hi, I am new to this site as well as need some advice.
I have always secretly in my heart wanted to become a ballerina, but for exercise and fun. I was when I was a little Tina but was too fat and lost interest. Well now I am a mom and people would say I am fit, but the problem is I am going to be 32 in a couple of weeks.. OH NO!! I do not feel it either. My question is I want to know if I am too old to start? If so then I need to sit back and just read. Otherwise, I need to know where to start living in the upper peninsula:-)?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:15 pm 

Pointe work is not necessarily off the agenda. My mother started ballet when I did (she was 43) and started pointe classes at the same time (when she was 45). However, she had excellent feet for it. Eventually, not having much time to spend on classes, she dropped the pointe work, but she enjoyed the experience.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:43 pm 

Love to Dance, I assume that "upper peninsula" means Michigan's U.P. I did a search on Upper Peninsula and ballet, and turned up almost nothing. If you live there, you'd know better which cities/towns might have schools. As for where to live in the U.P. to be near a ballet school, it seems the answer might be, as close as possible to the Lower Peninsula.

<small>[ 19 September 2004, 02:45 PM: Message edited by: djb ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]