public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Elementary Exams
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2001 3:50 pm 

I was just wondering how much pointe influences elementary exams, because me demi-pointe is a LOT stronger than my pointe, and I think I will probably be ready to take my exam in a year or 2, but I know that my pointe won't ever look amazing, just because my feet have no arch and my knees bend easy, and my wait is never forward whenever i'm on point. So, I was wondering how much the exam is focused on pointe, and if i still would have a chance passing if my demi-pointe was at the standard level. If anybody would know about this exam, I would sure like to hear you answers. Thanks!!!<BR>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Elementary Exams
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2001 5:01 pm 

Welcome to the board Wrangler Girl - we are very glad to have you join us.<P>I am not an RAD teacher so I can't answer your questions about exams. However, we have a couple of members who are RAD teachers and I am sure they will be able to answer your questions.<P>How long have you been on pointe? What does your teacher say about your pointe work? You need to have your weight forward that is for sure - and straight knees when up on pointe. And fully over the platforms of your shoes. So I am wondering what your teacher has to say?<P>Once again, welcome.....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2001 8:28 pm 

Thanks for replying!! Well, my teacher is always hounding me to get my weight forward, and I do believe it is slowly progressing, but I guess she has enough faith in me, because I am doing a pointe trio, this is my second year on pointe and doing a trio, so i hope I can overcome my bad habits and be able to meet the standards of what I need to, to take my elementary exam!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2001 1:00 am 

Wrangler girl - you say you think you will be ready for your exam in a a year or two so you have lots of time to improve. Listen to your teacher and work hard to improve your weaker areas. By addressing the problem now you can only help yourself and shows a very mature attitude to the exam.<P>Continue working on any set pointe combinations on demi-pointe as well so that you are solid on any set work.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2001 9:16 am 

Hello Wrangler girl!<P>As you probably know, you will need to pass in all the sections of the Elementary exam (is it RAD?).<P>If you're really good in all the other sections then the examiner would probably try and 'help' points-wise, but do work on straight knees, as they are very picky, and there is no getting away from it.<P>Another thing the examiner considers when marking a candidate is the fact that they will then be going on to Intermediate, and she or he is bound to ask themself if the candidate is ready for the next step up, and the resulting harder pointe work etc. <BR>That is often crucial, so I can only suggest that you work very hard on your weak points (bad pun, and unintended) NOW, as the examiners miss nothing.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2001 10:08 am 

Thank you for your advices, I will keep that in mind next year when I take my ballet and pointe classes.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]