public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:09 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Develope and arches
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2001 6:36 am 

Whenever I'm doing developpes in center, my ankle always wobbles and I end up leaning on the back edge of my foot alot. What do I need to do to prevent this? Do my ankles need strengthening? What about my arches? My arches are moving alot too. Any advice woud be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!! Image<P>Amanda<p>[This message has been edited by TannyLeClercq (edited August 20, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Develope and arches
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2001 9:42 am 

I have this problem also on my left foot. I would suggest that just before you begin the developpé you check where your weight is placed. You should be doing this constantly at the barre and in the center. <P>Be sure that weight is placed over the first three toes of your foot and as you developpé that weight stays over those toes. Keep your breast bone over those toes - that is a good visualization. There must be no leaning back as you developpé. <P>In my opinion, it is not your arches or your ankles - but your weight placement. If you are placed correctly you should be able to rise from a flat foot to demi-pointe without altering your stance.<P>Hope this helps.<P>Anyone else?<p>[This message has been edited by Basheva (edited August 20, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2001 10:03 pm 

I think you are right, Basheva, and I have this problem too. I also found that my ancle is more stable when my foot is turned out on my natural turn-out and not more, otherwise I woble. Another thing I do is just breathe, hold my abs and bottom muscles and just...do it! For me, I don't know about anyone else, it helps me a lot when I think about it and kind of force myself to do it. I 'm like 'OK, you are NOT going to woble...you are going to do it now', and I do! When I think 'Oh, I 'm going to fall, I don't think I can do this', then I woble! Of course just thinking about it isn't enough, but for me it is something.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2001 10:23 pm 

Annie they are some very good suggestions also. Breathing certainly does help to sustain a move and the type of positive visualisation can also be of great benefit. As you say if the proper technique is in place it will not solve that but it will certainly help just to get that extra balance if everything else is in place.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]