public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Jazz or Ballet?
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 2:35 pm 

Hello! :) I'm 15, and well I'm thinking of taking a dance class. I'm flexible, I can do splits both ways. Although,it may sound weird, but i taught myself how to do double pirouettes in about 4 days. :D I love dancing, it's just that i don't know which one I should do. I want to learn how to do across the floor stuff, do other forms of turning and leaps. BUT I want to learn all that in about a year. What should I take? Ballet or Jazz? :confused:

Post subject: Re: Jazz or Ballet?
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 10:27 pm 

Hi Mango, and welcome! You sound excited about dancing. Which do you think you would enjoy more...ballet or jazz? Take the class that appeals the most to you. If you still can't decide, ballet is a good basis for jazz or other forms of dance. But, it is going to take more than a "year" to learn how to dance well!

<small>[ 15 May 2004, 12:33 AM: Message edited by: GN ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 10:31 pm 

Hi there. I too agree with GN that Ballet is a fantastic and solid grounding for other forms of Dance. Is it at all possilbe to enrol into a combination class? (ie) 1.5 hours broken into 45 minutes ballet, 45 minutes Jazz? I wish you every success and happiness for a wonderful future in dance. Keep us posted with what you eventually decide upon :)

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 11:37 am 

Ballet will give you good, solid technique and can be a springboard for going into other styles, such as jazz. So my suggestion is to start with ballet and then take jazz later. However, if time and money allow, you could do both! Best wishes for happy dancing!! I hope your enthusiasm never goes away. Dance is work but it is totally fun too.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]