public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:24 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Contemporary dance?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 10:30 am 

Hi I have been doing Ballet since very young,I am now 17 and want to pursue a career in dance, I realise that I will not be able to go into ballet as I had a four year break from 10-14yrs due to injury.
I have looked at prospectus for dance courses and have decided to try to get into a contemory dance course, I have all the academic entry requirements so thats not a prob It says that students with very little dance training have the same chance as others, but I would like some experience in contemporary dance to build on my existing ability before I audition next year.
What sort of classes should I be taking? are there specific classes for contemporary? Someone told me to take modern but then someone else told me that contemporary and moder were 2 different things, what should do?
(sorry its so long)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Contemporary dance?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 12:06 pm 

Hi there - what area of the world are you in? I ask because Contemporary and Modern mean different things in different parts of the world.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:59 am 

Hey I'm in the UK

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 12:26 am 

Hi i live in the UK too!In England Modern and Contemporary are too different things, Modern too my knowledge is part of the ISTD Syllabus for dancing, whereas contemporary comes from all different people. The techniques i have found most beneficial to me so far to build strength e.t.c are Graham and Cunningham. There are other techniques out there such as Limon and release but i have found these easier after beggining training in the other two. Which part of the UK are you in? (i.e near London) do what to go on to contemporary dance training?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:04 am 

I agree with Emily that in the UK, "contemporary" is largely what the Americans call "modern": see our "Modern Dance Forum", which covers Graham, Cunningham, Alston as well as the up and coming choreographers.

Classes will be described as "contemporary" here, which will cover a wide range of techniques and approaches, but the key thing is to try a few and see what suits you. Which part of England do you live in, Haz?

<small>[ 27 March 2004, 03:08 AM: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 5:07 am 

Hey again Used to live in london, I'm in Wales unfortunately, in the middle of nowhere.
Emily yes I am planning to go onto contemporary dance training but after my a levels like a degree type thing although I might go to the RAD to do a teaching course if I can't get in for a performance course elsewhere.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 2:05 am 

Oh ok same as me. What is the contemporary dance scene like in Wales are there many places to take class?I know diversions dance company are based there arn't they? I can't help you much with contemporary dance in wales though cos i live in London.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 2:09 am 

p.s i have just been through the audition process for the contemp dance schools if you want to know anything about that or another point of view!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:30 am 

Ther isn't anywhere to take contempory near me so I'm taking modern to get more range in what I have done I'm also doing work experience every Saturday teaching young children do you think this will help me? In the auditions is the solo in the room with everyone else or is it just in a oom with the judges? Was everyone very experienced in contempory or were some people used to other things and not done much?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:05 am 

It sounds like you are doing all you can Hay and i am sure your enthusiasm will count. It may help to try and get some videos of contemporary dance to have a look at so you have some ideas or thoughts on this discipline.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 3:13 am 

You get a whole range of people at the audition, some look very experienced in Ballet but not in contemporary, some more so in contemporary and some people have had hardly any experinece in either! When i did my solo at Northern it was in front of everybody else and two judges then choosen people had to do it again in front of judges, it was in thier theatre so the audience didn't actually seem to intimidating. At London Contemporary Dance School it was just in a studio with four judges and at Laban you don't have to do a solo.

Helping out in those classes is definately a good idea becuase it shows a real interest and dedication to dance. Try and go and see as much contemporary dance as possible and if you can perhaps you could come to London for a week to take part in the courses that are offered at Laban and London Contemporary. I'm not sure about Northern. Theres one this easter and then one for three weeks in the summer at The Place and you can check it out on thier website. Also they really like you to have been on an open day because you need to decide which school is the best one for you and they want to know exactly why you have choosen them. Hope this helps!

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]