public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:35 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Wish me luck!!!!!Also, a question about shoes
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2001 10:16 am 

Tonight I ask my parents if I can take ballet instead of jazz! Image Also, are canvas ballet shoes okay? What's the difference between canvas shoes and leather shoes? What about split sole and non-split soles? (sorry, I forgot what they're called.) Should I buy shoes with elastic strap thingies(gotta love terminology) or without?<BR>Thanks!<BR>~Athena<BR>P.S. Oh yeah! Tonight I'm gonna try making a balley skirt out of this really pretty material I found while going through sewing schtuffs.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Wish me luck!!!!!Also, a question about shoes
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2001 11:00 am 

Athena - Of course I wish you luck!!<P>As for slippers - you should talk to the teacher about this - she may have a preference.<P>I can tell you what my preference is. I really like the leather split soles. They hug my feet, have a soft sock inside, and conform very nicely. I always sew on elastics myself. I like to buy pink elastic that matches the shoes and/or my tights.<P>If I just can't find pink elastics I pour some calomine lotion on them and that turns them a fairly good pink. <P>Be sure to ask your teacher what to get.<p>[This message has been edited by Basheva (edited June 16, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2001 11:43 am 

Hi. <BR>About ballet shoes- I prefer canvas because my feet don't sweat and stick as much :P and I like how they move and aren't squeaky. I don't really have a preference between split or full sole, but all my teachers prefer split soles except for 1. I would recommend that you ask your teacher, and if s/he doesn't care, try different kinds and stick with what you like. Have fun, good luck!<BR>-Zoe Image

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2001 10:05 am 

So, Athenacait2006, what's the verdict?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2001 1:36 pm 

I've decided to get a canvas shoe because I my parents want me to get a cheaper shoe at first. Also I'm getting a split sole because my tap shoes are split sole and I can point better in them then I can in my jazz shoes! (which are um, non- split sole).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2001 7:48 am 

Athenacait2006, how did it go re: ballet vs. jazz discussion with your parents? I'm guessing that, if they had an opinion on what type of ballet slipper you should start out with, that they were OK with the idea of you taking ballet?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2001 10:11 am 

I talked to my mom (my dad doesn't like me takeing dance any way, so I ask my mom. Image) and told her why I wanted to , and how much it would help technique. She had no clue what technique was, but I think she was impressed. Image At first she was a tad hesitant because of having to buy new shoes, but then I showed her the canvas ones, so in about 3 months I'LL BE A BALLERINA! Or atleast on the path to being one Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2001 5:16 am 

Well, good luck with becoming an assoluta! Image<P>About the shoes... I've always had leather full sole ones, they work best for me. The full sole gives a bit 'support', they challenge me to point my foot harder. If you have trouble with pointing your foot (very low arche, foot not developed enough yet, lots of other reasons) maybe a split sole might work better for your feet. Well, I have to say i don't know that much about it, this is just what I've read in books. So, if it's not right- please correct me. <P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2001 3:22 pm 

At the place where I dance, they want beginners to have leather shoes because of how muhc more effort it takes to point your feet, it really does help to work hard at that pointe. I hear that full sole does that too, but the lack of flexibity of the whole shoe annoys me, I like split soles. Leather costs a little more, but it lasts A LOT longer on your foot, my canvas shoes are already falling apart @ the seams after only a few months of not too much use.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]