public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:03 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Capezio Nicolinis
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2001 3:43 pm 

i just got my first pair of point shoes and started last week. THey are capezio nicolinis, and they have a really narrow box compared to the average shoe. I was wondering if any of you have used capezios (hopefully nicolinis), and can tell me how they feel to you, and how they worked out- how quickly you could break them in, and how you dealt wiht the shape of the shoe, etc.?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Capezio Nicolinis
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2001 4:04 pm 

Bebounce - that is the shoe that I spent most of my life dancing in. Yes, Nicolini's have a very narrow box. When I was dancing in them, it was just about the only shoes available in this area except for Freed's and I couldn't use those at all.<P>So, I got the widest box in Nicolini's that I could - E -. Usually the store had to special order it as they only carried up to a - D -. As for the shank, they were just right for me. Gave me support, yet with my strong feet I didn't have much trouble bending them at all. <P>However, in time when the Contempora's came out - I found them much, much more comfortable. And, I believe the shank is the same strength as the Nicolini. You really need to check with your teacher about the size and type of shoes you get. If you don't have a very narrow foot I would not recommend the Nicolini at all, it could really cramp your toes and give you a bunion.<P>Hope this helps.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2001 10:52 pm 

I too used the Nicolini for years. My first pointe shoe, and the only one I used for the first six years of pointe. I had them special ordered, as my feet are long. I wore 8.5 D. I never had trouble breaking them in, mostly just by bending the arch just a little and then wearing them to one class. After the first year of pointe (getting all those necessary callouses) they were really comfortable. My feet aren't that narrow, I don't think, but they worked out all right. I never even noticed anything weird about the shape of the shoe, but they were all I knew of pointe shoes at that time.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2001 8:57 am 

I lived in Nicolinis, too. Compared to all the boxier boxes around today, they do look very narrow and tapered. I do not have narrow feet, either, but somehow the shape and shank and the length of the vamp were perfect for me (as perfect as anything was en pointe...). <P>There are so many choices today. Back then it was pretty much Capezio and Selva (anyone remember those???) and a bit later Freeds, which did not work for me at all. There are lots more choices now. Nicolinis are as good a place to start as any, and with your teacher's help, you can find other shoes to suit you better, if necessary. Congratulations on your first pointe shoes, Bebounce!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2001 9:33 am 

Yes, I have to admit it - I do remember Selva. They were my first slippers, but I don't ever remember buying them for pointe. Like, Nancy, I lived in Nicolini's - until the Contempora's same out - then I still used the Nico's for performance.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2001 11:11 am 

I am also in this club. Nicolini's until I could get Contemporas. The shank shtrength was good for me but the shape was all wrong. I went though them like wildfire. The Contemporas held up much better because they matched my foot shape better.<P>Just out of curiosity, why didn't the Freed's work for you guys?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2001 11:55 am 

While I have a very strong foot, with a "workable" arch - it is not a highly arched foot. From what I could tell the Freed's fitted a highly arched foot better - or at least a foot with more of an arch than mine.<P>However, the people I knew who used Freed's also complained that those shoes didn't last very long at all. I could tell from trying them on at a fitting - that they were not for me at all.<P>Strangly enough Capezio made a shoe called Ultimo - which supposedly had a reverse shank made especially for a VERY highly arched foot. However, one time in desperation I bought a pair, and they lasted me for many months and fit the best of any shoe I ever had. Just that one pair - other Ultimo's didn't fit me at all. So, one never really knows. <P>A pair of Woesner's that I tried literally almost killed my feet - I pulled them off after a couple of classes and threw them out. They were tearing up the long plantar ligament - at the bottom of my foot - which had never happened before. The roll down was too abrupt.<P>Now, when I go into a shoe store - there are SO MANY kinds and styles, it literally boggles my mind - it was easier just deciding what size Capezio's I needed - lol.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2001 2:10 pm 

Basheva-<BR> My shoes are a C, so I guess the box is definently smaller than the one you had. It doesn't seem to cramp my toes, though. It is hard to break them in to the point where my demi-point is comfortable. Another point question; how do I work on the strength of just one ankle? My left ankle is not as strong, it makes it much harder on releves, eleves, and in piques. I'm worried about hurting my ankle if I don't strengthen it up.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2001 3:19 pm 

BeBounce, I used to break in my Capezio's just by working the box and wings in my hands. Once in a while I would put a piece of cloth over the box and tap GENTLY with a mallet. Then I would wear them around the house a bit, and do lots of slow relevés, and that seemed to do it.<P>As for one ankle being stronger - everything we have is stronger/weaker/different from one side to the other. Our hands, feet, sense of taste, eyes, etc. My right foot was the weaker one. I think the best way to work on the strength of a foot and ankle is simply with tendus - very careful tendus. Use the floor as an isometric exercise - iron the floor as you go out.<P>And tendu - the concept employed in working in tendu then extends itself to all the other exercises at the barre and of course in the center. But tendu is a great place to start. <P>Also do your roll down from pointe very slowly - with lots of control. Do it with two feet, then one foot. Hold onto the barre as little as possible - until you only have one finger on the barre. It takes a lot of time and work.<P>You can also work on pleating up a towel with your toes as you sit on a chair. There is no fast way to do this. Just slow careful work. Also check with your teacher, she might have additional ideas for you.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]