public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: pointe shoes
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2001 1:28 pm 

<BR> Can anyone who is in pointe give me suggestions on pointe shoes that they find last the longest. I bought a new pair of bloch serenades three weeks ago and my teacher suggest b4 summers end i get new ones. I'm not familar with any other brands besides capezio and bloch. <P>any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: pointe shoes
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2001 1:40 pm 

SalimaC - I hate to say this but...the most important thing is how the shoes fit, how long they last is secondary. I know, I know, they are VERY expensive, but hurting your feet is much more expensive.<P>That being said, my only real experience is with Capezios - and the Niccolinis and Contemporars almost always gave me good wear. The only exception was a single pair of Ultimas (Ultimas aren't even supposed to be for my particular kind of feet) that lasted me an unbelievable 6 months. <P>I always heard from the dancers using Freed's that they didn't last long at all.<P>I hope others can give you better information. But again, how the shoes fit is the first consideration.<p>[This message has been edited by Basheva (edited July 20, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2001 4:08 pm 

Thanks Basheva for the info.....I'm going to defintely do my homework b4 purchasing my next pair of pointe shoes and i will for sure look into the ones you mentioned. <P>Funny thing, you said that Freed don't last long. My teacher told us that she bought a pair and they broke in right away and molded to her feet but didn't last more than two hours!! She has bought them for a performance, she had to change shoes in between!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2001 5:28 pm 

SalimaC - precisely what your teacher said about Freed's is what other dancers told me. I personally had no direct knowledge of Freed's since they really were not right for my feet. But everyone said they broke in quickly and just as quickly were 'gone'.<P>When I was dancing Capezio and Freed were pretty much the only types of shoes available in my area. So Capezio is what I used and they worked for me for 30 yrs.<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2001 7:17 pm 

I too have capezio Niccolinis; I had to take pointe everyday 1.5 hours for the past 5 weeks and then performances, AND breaking them in a lot at home. When I got them comfortable on my feet (which didn't take long) they felt really good, and they haven't gone past the point of fitting well the whole 5 weeks- it feels like they aren't breaking down AT ALL- just staying comfortable. But, I'm not sure how long they are supposed to last under the given conditions. But they work for my feet, and I hear they aren't too pricey compared to other brands. Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2001 8:16 pm 

Basheva, Bebounce......i was wondering about Capezios. You see my very first pair were capezios but they were too narrow for my feet and too small(didn't get fitted bad mistake) and my teacher said i shouldnt get them again....when i tried different ones on in the store the lady said that they were too narrow. Does Capezio make any that are more broader??

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2001 5:12 am 

SalimaC - the Niccolinis are narrow - the Contemporas are wider and tend to have a flatter box (much more comfortable).<P>I found that the store only carried widths up to a "D" - but I always needed an "E" (I really hate to admit here how big my feet are - LOL!) I had the store order "E"'s for me. So don't go by what the store has on the shelf - order what you need. <P>The important thing about pointe shoes is to think of widths as well as lengths. Getting shoes that are too small is a prescription for disaster. You can do real damage that way. <P>SalimaC - did your teacher have a particular reason why you should not use Capezio's other than the width? Talk to her and ask her if you order a wider size, if that would be ok - she might have an additional reason and since she can see your feet, and I cannot, you surely want to listen to her.<P>Bebounce - your experience with Capezios is about the same as mine. My pointe shoes did last a fairly long time. Of course it depended on the amount of use I was giving them; classes, rehearsals, teaching, etc.<P>I would usually buy six pairs at a time and alternate through them. That gave each pair a "rest" which seemed to strengthen them. Sweat, I think, helps to break them down.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]