public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:59 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Late Beginner
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:47 pm 

I'm 20 years old, and I want to be a dancer. I have a problem, though: I'm pre-med.

My parents worked hard to see me become a doctor, but I don't have it in me. I have no previous classical training, so I know I'm at a huge disadvantage compared to my peer group.

I don't know where to start. I want to gain experience in ballet and modern dance, so I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction. I currently reside in Baltimore, MD.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Late Beginner
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:02 am 

I'm going to move this to the "Students' Questions" forum, where I think you'll get a better response.

Follow the link at the top left of this page.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:02 am 

Hiya,

The only advice I can give you is to search on the internet using google, ask jeeves etc and put in 'Late beginners' or go to www.itda.co.uk or www.dtol.ndirect.co.uk (dance teachers online).
Search for schools and teachers in your area, and start ringing around, because, even if that school can't help you they might be able to put you onto someone who will.

I'm a late beginner and I didn't think there would be anyone catering in ballet and tap for beginners of my age but I'm going to be starting private ballet lessons and adult tap lessons along with classes. I was surprised at how many schools did lessons for beginners of my age.

I'm determined to become a professional dancer because I know it's in my heart and I know it's something I can do. If it's what you love to do then you will get there.
Don't listen to what people say about it being to late to learn because it's simply not true.
Your family and friends, I'm sure, will support you in anything that you want to do.

All you have to do is believe in yourself and people will believe in you. The only thing to remeber is, Don't give up.

Hope it helps

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:17 pm 

Hi taylorpaul and welcome to CriticalDance.

A couple of years ago, we consulted with a well-respected dance administrator in the UK who was also the AD of a small company. She came up with this advice:

- dance is a very competitive career option at any age, especially for girls.

- the chances of professional employment, in ballet especially, reduce if you're starting from your mid/late teens onwards.

- having an excellent teacher and great determination are essential for success

- without knowing your personal circumstances and abilities it is impossible for us or anyone else on the Internet to assess whether you will be one of the few to succeed.

- do consult regularly with a teacher, whose knowledge you trust, about the job market for dancers as well as your own progress and prospects.

We do have the example of citibob on this board who through great determination has made it into a critically acclaimed small ballet company. However, he would be the first to agree that he could never live on the money he receives from dancing and has a well paid parallel career to finance his dancing.

We always advise people not to cut off any career opportunities at this stage, but to start dancing as much as you can and see where it goes.

It's never too late to start dancing, but a professional career is another thing. You and your teachers won't know for some time whether you have any chance to perform professionally.

<small>[ 09 August 2004, 03:20 PM: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:32 am 

Good advice Stuat.

But I want to add that, if your heart is so set on this nothing should hold you back from trying. Better to have made the attempt than to regret not having tried. And while it's tougher to get into a company when you start late I'm familiar with two men who began dancing at 20 and were able to get into the corps of companies within a few years. Dance came very naturally to them and they found the right teachers early enough to make a difference.

It won't be easy but nothing worth doing ever is.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:59 am 

I take your point 2 left. However, taylor, I'm sticking to my guns that until you have completed a year or so of training and had feedback from his teachers, I recommend that you follow another line of study/work as well and don't put all your eggs in the dance basket.

So, find a good local school and dance all you can and see where it goes, taylor.

<small>[ 16 August 2004, 06:03 AM: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]