public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:12 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: B+
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2001 9:49 pm 

I too was told that this pose is named B+ because it was Mr. B's favourite pose. It's an abbreviation that doesn't exist in Europe<BR>(or at least I've never heard about it here).<BR>antoP.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2001 4:30 am 

Thank you Katheryn and AntoP.<P>While you are looking through that book, notice one of the male dancers - Theodore Brunson. He and I were in class for years together. In fact I was present when he took his first class. It was at Grossmont College, teacher was Larry Eddington. Ted was 19 years old!! So he was a late starter too. Shows that it can be done doesn't it?<P>Ted was a natural. In that very first class he did changments with wonderfully pointed feet and an almost perfect pirouette. The teacher and I were old friends, and we watched in amazement, rolling our eyes at each other. With pleasure, I assure you.<P>After taking classes with Eddington, Ted went on to Ballet Society with teacher Jacqueline Hepner (she was a Balanchine dancer), where I studied for many years. It was at her beautiful studio on Washington Ave., in San Diego. <P>He went on to dance with Pennsylvania Ballet, I believe as a soloist. Ted was a beautiful dancer from that very first class, and a really nice guy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2001 9:03 am 

It makes my heart burn just thinking of someone with perfectly pointed feet their first class. Burn with excitement and longing, I think. Thanks for sharing your story, Basheva.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2001 9:55 am 

Basheva...any relation between Theodore Brunson and Perry Brunson? Perry Brunson was a famous, and very strict ballet teacher here in Seattle for years. Mark Morris was among his students. He (PB) was supposed to have had a legendarily beautiful, perfect, textbook arabesque.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2001 10:37 am 

Trina - I have no idea if they are related or not. As I remember it, Ted, seemed very new to the ballet world. For instance when the time came he had no idea how to go about auditioning for Pennsylvania Ballet - and I would think if he had been related to Perry then Ted would have had an example to follow. Or someone on the "inside" to help him. <P>A perfect arabesque ......in my dreams....I wish....maybe in my next life.....if I am <I>really</I> a good girl in this life.....help little old ladies across the street....then maybe I will have a perfect arabesque....ha ha <P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2001 6:42 am 

Oh, so that's the secret... I'm on the way searching for old ladies!!! -------->

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2001 12:13 pm 

My teacher from Dance Theatre of Harlem also stated that B+ was one of Mr. B's favorite positions and nicknamed for him.<P>------------------<BR><BR>"If it's self expression you are looking for the place for you is the analyst's couch" - Merce Cunningham

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2001 5:09 pm 

I saw American Ballet Theatre performing Giselle this afternoon, and it was full of B+'s. Definitely pre-Balanchine! But I taught for a New York City Ballet dancer, and she also credited "Mr. B" with naming the position.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2001 6:11 pm 

Maybe we should just declare it as named for Mr. Balanchine. Why not? <P>"CRITICALDANCE NOW DECLARES THIS STEP NAMED FOR MR. BALANCHINE'<P>There - now it's official.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2001 7:01 pm 

Hi all.. umm forgive me if I sound stupid, but what is the B+ pose your'e all talkign about? Thanks!<P>Jan<P>------------------<BR>Teaching Today Touches Tomorrow!<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2001 5:34 am 

Well, let's see if I can explain it.....<P>Stand in fifth position. Now take your back leg and point it to fourth position behind you. Now take that same leg and bend it slightly at the knee (the toe is still pointed) and have both knees touching each other.<P>Point toe behind you.....bend knee slightly....keep both knees touching. It's a pose - not a step.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2