public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:19 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Weak left foot
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2001 6:36 pm 

Hi!<BR>I was wondering if you could help me.<BR>My left foot isn't as strong as my right foot. I noticed it on pointe. I can do a perfect relevé pasé with my right foot on the ground but I lack the strength with my left foot. My teacher told me about some excercises and about bands but I would gladly accept suggestions.<BR>Thank you!<P>DancerPR

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Weak left foot
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2001 4:27 am 

What about the wobble-thingy in the thread "lots of questions".............

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2001 4:55 am 

DancerPR - everyone has one foot that is weaker than the other. Sometimes much weaker. For me it is my right foot - it isn't as strong and it isn't as flexible.<P>So that is the foot I have to work on. One of the best ways to work on it is with relevés. Slow relevés going up to pointe and slowly coming down.<P>Stand facing the barre and then go up on both feet to pointe - slowly rolling through all the parts of your feet. Now try it just on the one foot. Hold onto the barre - let the barre help you. As time goes on hold onto the barre less and less. First do it with five fingers, then four, then just one finger on the barre.<P>Also do the same thing on the way down from pointe. Slowly, slowly. If you do this regularly, I think you will see improvement.<P>As for using therabands. Personally, I don't recommend them because so many people who use them don't know how to use them correctly. If you have someone to really show you how, then you can try it. <P>Also every time you do a tendu, remember to use every part of your foot - feel the foot articulate. Press through the floor, use it as an isometric exercise.<p>[This message has been edited by Basheva (edited May 26, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2001 7:35 am 

I like Basheva's suggestions. You can do them before and after classes, they're not fussy to do and you will probably notice the results fairly soon. I'll just add one little thing. Add a slow, methodical plie when you have come down from each releve making sure you're not rolling on your foot and your hip knee and thigh are properly aligned. The plies will also strengthen the foot, and other important muscles that go up the leg.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2001 7:43 am 

Great addition, Maggie, thank you. That demi plié will also keep that Achilles tendon from tightening up. <P>Thanks.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2001 8:50 am 

I'll be sure to try all your suggestions!<BR>Thank you!<P>DancerPR

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]