public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:11 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sore
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2001 5:19 pm 

When I dance for a long time, my knees will hurt, and with pointe, of course my ankles will be sore. The ankles I understand will be weaker because I haven't really done any specific pre-pointe work. Apparently, my knees will hurt more because I don't have really strong turnout muscles, so I let my knees hold the turnout, not my hips. The teacher suggested that every night I ice my ankles and knees, and stay moving on it as I can unless uts a sharp shooting pain, or something I can't stand any longer. Does that seem right? I'm worried about my old knees, cuz I've never injured them in my life, and they're giving me all these problems. I don't think thet like me very much Image

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Sore
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2001 6:05 pm 

I think it is a good thing to remember, Bebounce, that pain is a warning. Icing does help swelling and such, but it doesn't cure the problem. Only correct work and placement will do that. And if you are holding your turnout in your knees you are surely asking for trouble. And more trouble.<P>No, it certainly doesn't seem right, to answer your question - it doesn't seem right.<P>Over doing the turn out using the knees is not right. Doing pas de deux while still a beginner on pointe is not right. Ankles should not be sore from pointe work if you are really and truly ready for pointe work. At least in all my experience both as a dancer and as a teacher - ankles should not hurt. Toes, maybe from abrasion - but not ankles. And certainly it is not "right" for the knees to hurt. And you don't cure it by keeping moving. <P>Sorry - to be so negative - but that is my honest opinion. <P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2001 1:30 pm 

Once again I totally agree with Basheva.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2001 1:34 pm 

woah. I see your pointe. Ankles can't even be sore like they've been worked, cuz it feels like the muscles have been used after eleves and releves, like after your stomach hurts from likes of crunches.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2001 2:27 pm 

Or like you hurt after getting punched in the stomach with opinions such as those offered here. But, Bebounce, we are really concerned with your long term well-being.<P>I think your knees and ankles really do like you, a lot. I think they are saying to you, "Too much, too soon!"<P>My question is whether you are going to be able to listen to them, and what you can do about this. Any ideas?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2001 3:37 pm 

GOOd NEWS... I am just doing pas de deux on demi-pointe in ballet slippers now! Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2001 7:03 pm 

Bebounce, thanks for the update. I was relieved to hear you are doing the pas de deux class in ballet slippers now. How are your knees and ankles feeling? I certainly hope you are doing better!

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]