public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: back streches?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:40 pm 

anyone know any really good streches for increasing back flexibility?

Post subject: Re: back streches?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:23 pm 

I'm kind of stealing Basheva's thunder here but she told me this years ago and it does help.
At the barre tendu derriere and lift the leg to the highest arabesque you can, then penche, as you recover from the penche try to keep the leg where it is (impossible i know, but think about it like that). Once I became pretty flexible I started do door jam stretches which are very intense and shouldn't be tried until you can easily do a split on both sides.
~K~

<small>[ 01 July 2004, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: Dean Speer ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:05 pm 

Does anyone know any stretches for those of us who don't do ballet (and so do not understand any of the above post) but still want to improve flexibility?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:44 am 

Yoga and Pilates have wonderful postures/stretches that you can do.

I'll try to find some sites that show them for reference.

I've found that it's important to integrate anything involving increasing back flexibility with other coordinating movement because it effects the way I carry myself, am able to balance myself all the time. Working just on back flexibility gives me problems unless I simultaneously work on coordinating that new flexibility with the rest of my body.

Power Yoga - an Ashtanga Vinyasa based system I think its called in "yoga-ese") can be good for those interested in dance but not particularly in yoga as the postures are formed in a steady, rhythmic, moderately paced way. You almost always start with a sequence called the sun salutation that is repeated 3x - and as you work you gradually increase your flexibility.

Many of these poses help with flexibility & strength of the back as well as coordination.

Then move onto various other postures, once the body is "warmed" and "trained" with the sequence. It's kind of like a full-body barre....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 7:41 am 

thanks, tigger. i'll be looking into all of that very soon!

kyle s, i agree with alex r... could you perhaps re-state all of that in pyhsical terms rather than ballet vocab? i had you until penche.
also, what are these door jam exercises? i can split :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:46 am 

no need to show off designkat! i can't split but would love to be able to!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:46 am 

OK I'll try this again with alot less french :)
If your at the barre point the foot to the back and then lift it as high as you can but be sure to maintain your posture. While maintianing this position and try to get your lifted leg to point to the ceiling but keep the same distance from the leg to the back in other words dont let your upper body drop. Ideally your legs should make a straight line, so the if your legs were the hands of a clock it would be six oclock, but that takes years and years of training. From the six oclock position return to the starting position with the leg lifted off the floor. This stretch is great because your strengthening while stretching.
hope that was at least a little more understable
~K~

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:29 pm 

yes thank you KyleS that was much more understandable! a 6 o'clock position? at the moment i'm at about twenty-to-six but i guess that's something to aim for!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:48 pm 

I have my splits and was wondering what a door jam stretch is?? Also is there anyway of increasing the arch in your feet??

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]