public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:12 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Pas de deux
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2001 3:18 pm 

Hey you guys, guess what? I get to take pas de deux class on pointe for the first time ever tommorow. I'm really excited and scared, cuz I haven't been on pointe very long. I'm really psyched though, so does anyone have any tips to help me in the class, and can anyone describe their average pas de deux class? (I've taken it twice before, but on flat- so I know the components from a "demi-pointe" perspective Image )

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Pas de deux
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2001 3:41 pm 

How exciting for you Bebounce - I used to really love pas de deux class. <P>One thing to remember is that your partner is there to help you - but not to hold you up - but you probably know that already. He acts as a point of balance when you are on one foot - but the strength and balance has to be within you.<P>Also when he has to lift you - be sure you plié well and spring up - that will help him to lift you. You don't want to be a dead weight, that will be much harder for him. <P>Also be sure to take a towel with you so you can keep yourself fairly dry - sweaty hands are slippery. And try to wear a cotton type leotard, those satiny ones get very slippery for his hands around your waist. <P>And no jewelry - even rings. Don't even bring it to class. They can be dangerous to both of you. Wear a pair of pointe shoes that you feel comfortable with. In pas de deux class one generally spends more time on one toe than usual.<P>Have fun, Bebounce - and when it is over be sure to remember to say "thank you" to your partner - that is part of the tradition.<p>[This message has been edited by Basheva (edited June 25, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2001 11:59 pm 

Hmmm, I would really love to do pas de deux, too, but my ballet school doesn't do them (we have no boys, unfortunately), and I think one of the only schools I know who DOES do them is the NBA (national ballet academy), so I guess I can forget it for now... Hey bebounce you're really lucky, you know that?<P> Image <P>------------------<BR>The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything...<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2001 4:21 pm 

Yeah, I do feel lucky- especially since they let me take class after only a week and a half of pointe (I KNOW that Basheva's safety buzzers are going off Image , but they watched me carefully, and I do okay with the shoes). So, today I had that first day, and it was discouraging. I had taken pre-pointe for only two days before they gave me my shoes, so I hadn't built up the ankle strength for fast releves on one leg and prolonged holding on pointe. It was definently hard to stay balanced and over the right part of my box. I have a weaker left than right ankle, so after holding releve on one leg for so long, it just wouldn't hold me up any longer, and I'd have to step down. I had a new partner, and I was so confused with the shoes, I kept getting off and confusing him- I must have said I'm sorry 50,000 times after each excersize!. Some stuff was okay, but they won't allow me to do stuff like " sissonne, arabesque, releve (quick tempo)" until my ankles get stronger. At one point, I was trying to hold myself and pull up in attitude while the guy was doing a promenade, and my ankle wasan't "working", so I kept going "foward, forward!", and pretty soon, I was at like, a 60 degree angle with the floor! Believe me, I almost laughed myself out of the excersize! I'm trying though, and I'm glad that they only let me take it once a week! It's just really hard- I started so late, and I have so much to make up far cuz I'm so far behind-my body doesn't want to go like my brain wants to make it... I know I'm prbably being a baby, cuz It's all part of dance, and I love it. But I know you guys understand where I am coming from, it just gets discouraging sometimes.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2001 5:54 pm 

Don't be discouraged Bebounce....but you are right I would NEVER let a beginning pointe student take a pas de deux class. Mostly because she doesn't yet have the ankle/foot strength. And, she hasn't yet mastered the shoes - nor the pointe technique. So it is a study in frustration for her - and her partner.<P>And in pas de deux you do have to stay up on one foot for quite a long time, comparatively speaking. But, then, I am not your teacher - lucky you!!<P>Usually pas de deux doesn't happen until about the third year - at least - of pointe with many years of ballet before that.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2001 4:54 am 

Ah, so... I thought I was hopeless late and would never dance a pas de deux... LOL, but ok I do pointe almost a year now, so in about two years I'm going to seriously look for schools that offer pas de deux classes. <P> Image<P>------------------<BR>The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything...<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2001 9:11 am 

Hey cool Bebounce, that you are going yo have pas de deux class on pointe! Good luck.<BR>But I had a question about pas de deux classes, someone ever told me that you may not be above a special weight to enter a pas de deux class. Is that true?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2001 10:17 am 

Elleke - there is no definite weight amount. It has to do with how you are constructed - some people have bigger bones than others.<P>Generally speaking if you are able to do pointe - you should be all right for pas de deux.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]