public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:23 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: KNEES
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2001 2:35 pm 

Okay, I know I worry A LOT about my knees, and I know that it isn't okay for them to feel a certain way, but I still wonder... FOr instance, yesterday, my knee started to feel weird-bad weird. So certain stuff I just didn't do in class, like rond-de jambes en l'air, and I bend my knee in certain stretches. I didn't that today, too, cuz I could take class, it wasn't bad enought to stop, I just had to take it easy. The way it feels now is a weird, dull buzzy-pain kind of feeling, not a quick jolt of pain or anything. One of my teachers says that some people have weaker construction in certain areas-me in my knees, which according to the hyperextension posts I've read, make sense; and I still have an unusual knee-cap construction. My knee (sometimes knees) will hurt enough for me to not do certain things every once in a while ever since a while after I started dancing. But I wonder, is there any way for me to aid this apparently VERY weak knee construction? And is this going to give me problems in the future, as I DO intend to go to a conservatory-type college for dance, and perform. I am VERY scared as to what will happen to my knees, I'm so afraid that I will never be able to dance and perform like I want to for very long, and when my knee hurts, and I think about it, I have to keep myself from sobbing! I'm REALLY, REALLY scared...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: KNEES
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2001 2:37 pm 

SORRY !!!! I posted it twice!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2001 3:58 pm 

I deleted the second post Bebounce.<P>I am afraid that nothing is going to take care of your fear and your questions (and they are good questions), and your pain except to get yourself to an orthopedic doctor - one who understands dance and dancers. You need to be evaluated by a professional.<P>It seems to me as time has gone by your knee problems are bothering you more and more. You should know from a professional viewpoint of a doctor and a therapist if dance is something you should really be considering as a career. You will never have these answers unless you consult qualified medical opinion.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2001 5:48 pm 

Bebounce, I have to agree with Basheva. Before you do anything, i too suggest you consult a physcian first and foremost. I personally think you should also inform the physcian of your plans to continue to dance regularly and ask him his/her advice on what to do if the pain persists, maybe certaint things to avoid that may irriatate it. Earlier this summer I have no idea what i did but i some how hurt my knee, <BR>I went to the doctor and I guess I tore a tendon or ligament and had to wear a small brace over my kneee......i could still dance but even now a month later it acts up, i have to just accept the fact through the rest of my dancing, sometimes my knees will hurt and i HAVE give my body rest.<P>went

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2001 6:04 pm 

Oh, Bebounce. I wish I could wave a magic wand and iron out all the "wrinkles" for you. I can understand how frightened you must feel, both because of the pain, and also because of the ramifications of that pain.<P>You've told us about all the exciting opportunities you've had lately, with pointe and pas de deux and the summer program. Again, it may just be your body trying to adjust to a new, heavy-duty schedule and new ways of moving. <P>But the fact is, you won't know what's what until you do see a doctor. The pain is really interfering now. You can't pretend it's not serious. It needs attention. Pronto. <P>The worst that could happen, if you seek treatment soon, is that you are told that you have bum knees that would preclude a dance career. That would be devastating, but that is the worst case scenario. It's also possible that there is something with your technique that could be changed, or that there are exercises or other remedies that the doctor could guide you towards or through. You'd learn from this, and move on stronger. But if you wait, you could really cause more damage. You don't want to take that chance, right? And the worst thing is to live with the uncertainty.<P>Please, get those knees checked out, and let us know what's happening. We're thinking of you!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2001 11:32 pm 

Just wanted to say i agree witha all of the above. Good luck Bebounce and try not to worry - just get it looked at.<P>Take care.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2001 2:19 pm 

Today I got my knee looked at my my physician, and good news- it's just a strained muscle! (NOt good cuz I'm hurt, but good cuz it's not serious Image) I can't dance for 3 days, but saturday I can, cuz it's the final open house performance, and I have to do the pieces( even though I am worried about hurting myself while performing). It's that muscle that goes from the bottom of the quads and covers the kneecap down the front, so you can imagine how it must feel! It's hard to straighten my knee and stretch, and balance or turn on it, or to tap. So I'll see what I can do about the rehearsal and the performance- and see about going to the sports medicine specialitsts again. Thanx everybody! That crisis has been adverted-for now! Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2001 2:54 pm 

Bebounce - I am <B>so glad</B> you went to the doctor and had your knee looked at. And I am very glad that you will be taking good care of it. <P>Listen carefully and do everything the doctor says. Be sure not to rush into using it before you should. It is <B>so</B> important that it heals completely. That will prevent you from having recurring and chronic problems with your knees. That is much more important than any one performance - believe me.<P>Lots of luck to you - Bebounce!! You did the right thing - now take good care of it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2001 3:09 pm 

That's great that you got it checked out Bebounce, many people ignore things hoping they will magically 'disappear' (not myself of course, lol!)<BR>I hate to harp on Pilates but I think it's excellent injury prevention medicine...<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2001 4:34 am 

Bebounce, I am glad that you went to the doctor, and that your knee condition is not too serious. I've found through the years, that it's always better to know what's what, than it is to imagine the worst. Take good care of yourself on these days off! <P>You may wish to think ahead to your rehearsal and performance, and what elements of the choreography are particularly irritating to your knee. There may be ways the choreography can be altered (if your teachers are open to this) to place less strain on your knee. Then you'll worry less and enjoy the performance more. Please note: I said THINK about the dances; don't DO the dances or even MARK the dances for these three days of rest. You want to follow the doctor's recommedations to the letter. <P>Good luck for Saturday; let us know how it goes and how you're doing!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2001 6:26 am 

Bebounce, i'm soooooo glad you got your knee looked at. It's also good to hear that its not serious. Good luck on Sat, i'm sure you'll dance beautifully and in the future.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2001 2:08 pm 

Hi there!<P>I was just reading the above posts about knees and just want to tell people to really be careful with them. I have dislocated one of my knees (from their being too mobile, but this was not while dancing). <BR>Its really really important to make sure that you're knees are really strong before you attempt any movements that could put pressure on them or stretch ligaments. I have to say this as I have experienced first hand how delicate knees are and how difficult it is to get them better if something happens (over 3 months+!!!). Prevention is better than the cure so pleeeeease be careful everyone!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2001 2:20 pm 

Dear Bebounce, I feel your frustration. I sprained my ankle on June 16th, and missed the end of class and the intensified study this week. I am grateful it's not a long term problem for either of us. I do worry about losing my strenght and flexibility while I'm home trying to heal. My doctor says I may return to a modified version in two more weeks, modified means no jumps. I can live with that..as long as it's not forever. My next class begins Aug 16th, jazz and ballet technique. Keep dancing, and good luck!!<P>------------------<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2001 3:51 pm 

Soft tissue (muscles, ligaments,etc.) injuries in weight bearing joints (hips, knees, ankles, etc.) usually take the longest to heal. As opposed to breaking a bone - which is not a soft tissue injury (although soft tissued could be involved). Bones heal in a certain length of time - and that's usually the end of the problem. But soft tissue injuries are a different matter. If not allowed to fully heal then scar tissue can build and interfere with further healing.<P>The knee is of course a weight bearing joint with quite a bit of moveability - it moves in many different directions. It is also not quite as strong or stable as the hip. So on many levels the knee is a candidate for injury. <P>It is placed midway between the much stronger joint of the hip - and the feet which have the advantage of the brace of the floor. So the knee is vulnerable to take up the torque in any misalignment between hip and feet. (I am trying to keep this explanation simple).<P>All these things make is absolutely essential that full healing take place to avoid the possiblity of chronic re-injury. It is also very important to try to pinpoint what caused the injury (unless it is accidental) so that future injury can be avoided. For instance if constantly trying to over turnout beyond the body's capability - with the knees taking up that unnatural torque - caused the injury then going back to this bad habit will cause future injury and the process will be exacerbated.<P>Things to think about....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2001 6:57 pm 

Thanks everyone. Image Unfortunately, I haven't been off of my knee as much as I should, but it's definently less activity, because I have to rehearse for that final performance tommmorow. After that, the camp is over, and since the doctor said 3 days, and I didn't exactly listen, I will rest for one or two weeks (good idea?), and won't make that medical disobedience a habit. So, do you know what stuff I CAN do to keep my joints mobile and strengthen my knee, so I can go back healthier and keep it strong?

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next