public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:14 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: when is it too late to take up ballet
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:58 am 

Help!!!!
i'm 14 years old and i really love ballet but i have never had a lesson in my life .is it too late 4 me to start now? could i ever get anywhere with ballet or am i too old?
Please help.
lol Jenni

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: when is it too late to take up ballet
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:05 am 

Hi jenni and welcome to CriticalDance. I'm going to move your question to our "Students' Questions and Experiences" forum. See you there.

<small>[ 07 July 2004, 09:10 AM: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:10 am 

In terms of dancing for fun or self-development, it's never too late and several people on this site have a rewarding time studying ballet as a hobby and passion.

On the theme of dancing professionaly, we had a recent discussion based on a query from another student and I think you should look at that jenni, as it gives various perspectives:

http://forum.criticaldance.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=19;t=001381

<small>[ 07 July 2004, 10:12 AM: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:06 pm 

It is never too late to start dancing, whether you want to dance professioanlly or recreationally. Many of my colleagues and mentors have started formal dance training in their late teens and early twenties, and they have gone on to have fulfilling careers in dance. It all depends on how hard you are willing to work towards your goals and how committed you are to your chosen art form.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:17 pm 

I agree, it is never too late to start dancing. Ballet, Tap, Modern, Jazz - all of those can be learned. It takes A LOT of hard work and dedication but with all things, ballet is not magical. You have to learn it. You learn it, love it, work your butt off, read about it, listen to music, think about it - immerse yourself in it - and it will eventually pay off. There seems to be a stigma that one must start dance as they are coming out of the womb but there have been many successful dancers who started later in life.

One advantage to starting late in life is that you have the facility and brains to push yourself and understand ballet better in your head. You're smarter when your 14 than when you are 7 or 8.

My advice is to get to a qualified teacher, make up your mind about what you want to accomplish, tell the teacher your dreams and motivation, and run with it. The world is yours dear. Know that!

:)

Cody

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:20 pm 

To add to my post:

You can accomplish anything that your heart desires - regardless of what others tell you or make you feel. If you want to dance professionally - GO FOR IT! At one point, everyone is in the same place. We've all been there - appreciate that.

<small>[ 12 July 2004, 07:21 PM: Message edited by: PierrotLunaire ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]