public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:26 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: General technique help
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:46 pm 

I do modern and tap dance and have done for 9 years.
I started fairly late at the age of 10. I don't do ballet and i'm in a class with 3 other girls who have alot of experience of ballet.
I don't really feel that I am as good as them... they have the correct technique for certain exercises where as I have to work harder to achieve positions that come naturally to them.
My dance teacher has told me that I have a straight back and good posture and doesn't seem to see me not doing ballet as a problem.

Is there any way I can catch up with my fellow dancers?? I'd like to improve my flexibility, turnout and abdominal strength.
We are doing a show in January and our dance is very technique based so any advice would really help me.

Thanks for reading all of that text if you did!! xx

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: General technique help
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 8:46 am 

If you want to catch up with the other girls why not take a ballet class as well? Ballet will help you to improve flexibility, abdominal strength, and turnout.

Can't think of anything that would do it better.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:00 am 

I'd love to do ballet but I don't really wanna join the classes that do grades and exams cos it'll be very difficult.

I'm gonna wait until i've passed my driving test and then look for an adult ballet class in my area. the dance school i am at doesn't have an adult ballet class.
I'd love to improve the style and technique of my dancing.

thanks for the advice Lucy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:02 am 

Sounds like a smart idea, Do keep us posted on how you get on. With the driving test too! I still get nervous when I have to renew mine. It's the picture that is so scary. You are stuck with it for (I think ) 7 years now at least in CA.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:55 pm 

yeh get yourself in a ballet class you feel comfortable in, eventually you'll find your jazz and modern give you an advantage to somebody whose only had experience in ballet. but if your semi-serious about dancing that fundemental stuff is a reality. pilates and yoga with help too if your having a hard time finding a good school.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:50 pm 

thanks for the advice.

I've bought an adult ballet DVD online that hasn't arrived yet!! :roll:
I'm going to get the New York Ballet DVD too.

These are solutions until I can start a class because I have a show in January and the technique and control that I will gain will be invaluable!!

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]