public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: cellulite
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2001 9:01 am 

does anyone know what to do about real bad cellutlite?<BR>thanks<BR>kim

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: cellulite
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2001 6:52 am 

I read a great piece regarding cellulite through a lead for weight loss, I wish I could remember the address for you. But this is what it said. Men do not accumulate cellulite, while women do because of the physiology of the muscle structure and the way the body holds fat. That is what cellulite is-fat.I don't think that means that anyone with cellulite IS fat. I know that isn't so, because my two lean and georgeous 12 and 15 year old daughters have it and they are certainly not fat.Remember that they airbrush it off the models in the magazine photos. But the article recommended minimizing cellulite by exercising the quads and gluteus muscles via strength training, squats with the physioball for instance. And combining this with lots of stretching to produce strong, long lean muscle tone that will not show the fat pockets. Good luck! Also, do you know about Hold and stretch tights by Cappezio, they do help the look in the mirror for me!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2001 10:30 am 

thanks rachel. my ballet friend was very overweight when she was younger,and was able to lose her weight, and now that she is older she has very bad cellulite. she drives me crazy with it. she's convinced that she'll never get married because of it. i really try to be supportive for her, but she does seem to drive me crazy about it. so i promised i would ask the group's opinion. i don't think there is much one can do about, which i have told her, but she doesn't believe me. i think once you have it, you have it. she has danced for 10 years now, and still is unable to get rid of it. oh well. thanks again. <BR>kim <P>------------------<BR>Great Dancers are not great dancers because of their technique: they are great dancers because of their passion -- Martha Graham<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2001 10:40 am 
MAYBE your friend should get into SOME weight training-THAT according to the books help eliminate cellulite.I dont know if any of you dancers would agree-but there is a way to train without developing bulky muscle.<BR>MAYBE try the books by JOYCE VEDRAL(ex-Defintion).<BR> EXPERTS-does PILATES HELP???

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2001 10:47 am 
Just to add to it KIM problaby the reason why your friends cellulite seems bad is because they say when loosing pounds some weight training should be done in conjunction w/ aerobic type exercises and dieting.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2001 11:32 am 

I have heard of a system that is being used to treat cellulite. It would probably fall in the beauty/spa category. It is called endermologie or endermology, and technicians use machinery combining suction and massage to smooth out the contours of body areas with cellulite. From what I understand, it does not reduce fat or weight, and must be combined with proper diet and exercise. And I have no idea what kinds of results or success can be achieved through this method.<P>I am in no way recommending this. I just mention it as a possible area to research. From the little I have heard, it is expensive and requires maintenance sessions after the initial treatment period.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2001 3:19 pm 

I would be very skeptical of any long term treatment for cellulite. Any reports I have ever heard of from the science community say that there is just not a lot you can do about it. Some people are just more prone than others to developing it. Pilates will not get rid of your cellulite but any kind of exercise that reduces your overall percentage of body fat will probably make you feel better about the cellulite that you do have. And if someone wouldn't marry me because I had some cellulite I think I would be much better off without them. No one has the 'perfect' body--that includes men too.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2001 4:15 pm 

I believe cellulite is simply fat tissue which has lost it's elasticity. Like any other fat, I assume if you do cardio/aerobic workout, it will help reduce it, somewhat. But not totally; I think most women have some-it's not that big a deal. Remember ,we all need some body fat-it is necessary because it insulates our organs and also, is a fuel/energy source (along with carbohydrates) for your body. <BR><p>[This message has been edited by trina (edited July 27, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]