public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:18 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: I wanna have a chance...do I???
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:13 am 

Hi everyone! I'm new! I just want to know whether it's too late for me to become a professional dancer. I'm 17 and I started dancing when I was 13. I REALLY wanna join Alvin Ailey after college (I'm in my senior year of high school), but I'm not sure that I'll be good enough by then...what do you think? Do I have a chance? :(

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: I wanna have a chance...do I???
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:49 am 

No one on this board has seen you, so no one can realistically answer your question. Plenty of people have started dancing at age 13 and gone on to professional careers. Plenty more have started at age 13 and not.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:27 am 

I agree with Citibob. Success is a combination of talent, luck, personal drive and motivation. Not having seen you dance, it's impossible to say. I would try to find a good summer program and/or a teacher who is going to give you personal attention and coaching. Easier said than done, right? Read as many books as you can get your hands on, see as many dance shows as you can, and keep learning. One question: why Ailey specifically? Sometimes it's good to broaden your base of ambition.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 5:44 pm 

Hi there. I too agree with some of the points made by Trina. I would personally find an independent teacher who has a reputable reputation and organise to take a class with him/her and ask for a completely honest assessment of my true potential. From that assessment I would hopefully be able to follow dream or take away from it, a different direction to persue. But most important of all is that you love what you do regardless where it takes you! and also NEVER, EVER stop learning. As per Trina's post, read as many books you can lay hands on, see as many shows as possible, broaden your horizons in all aspects of dance, learn as many dance styles as you possible can (and afford) and learn to have fun! and just who knows, one day.........!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:53 pm 

Go to Juliard, and you will get great training and been seen by everyone. If you are good people will come looking for you, because everyone will know who you are. If you are average make sure you show up everyday to open classes they offer as well as other contemporary companies around New York. Definatly Julliard though you have to go there.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:12 pm 

Hi. I agree that "showing up" is probably the most important thing you can do. By this I mean taking class every day. Going to auditions in your area (and elsewhere). Learning as much as you can about dance, technique, and the profession through literature, periodicals, and electronic media (including this web site!). Networking with friends. Seeking the advice and counsel of your teachers. Looking at "serious" college dance programs. If Julliard turn out to not be on option for you, I highly recommed the University of Utah for either modern or ballet; quite excellent in fact. For modern, I'd suggest Cornish College of the Arts, here in sunny Seattle. Best wishes for happy dancing! ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 1:20 pm 

University of Utah is an excellent school, both ballet and modern departments have an intense program. Good idea! As for Cornish though I went there for a while until I was hired into a company and left but that school I would not recommend because they do not teach as to prepare you to get into a company (I found the hard way) they teach only to sit around and talk about it with people that cant do it themselves. Pat Hon was awesome for Gram, and John Prinz shared his experience with us to prepare us to go into the world. The rest feel short. John insnt there anymore and I dont know if Pat is or not. Ones persons experience donest dictate what is the "norm" but choose wisely because when you are trying to make it, you dont have alot of time.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:53 pm 

Don't want to get "off topic", but Cornish has a recent, awesome addition to their dance faculty. Gerard Theoret teaches ballet there now. He danced with Royal Winnipeg Ballet, and also had a career as a theatrical director; I believe he directed the road company of "Phantom of the Opera". He is a charmismatic teacher and person. I saw their recent faculty concert, and it looked very polished and professional. Getting back to our topic, I would keep your options open as far as applying to summer programs, colleges and keeping an ear to the ground for professional training schoools as well. :D

<small>[ 29 April 2004, 10:13 AM: Message edited by: trina ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 10:22 pm 

Consider auditioning for the Alvin Ailey summer intensive. If getting to NYC is an issue take a good summer intensive in your area. Don't waste time at your age. You will need as much training as you can get. I don't know whether you are male or female. If you are male there are ballet scholarships galore available for guys both in the summers and winters. As for your age - I know a young woman who began dancing at in her early teens. She is now 21, and just had a successful audition with a professional ballet company.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 8:25 am 

I just finished a two year program at the Ailey school and I can tell you that as far as getting in to the company it will depend largely on if someone is is retiring they try to keep a constant # in the company. I would agree that the school is an excellent training ground and there are several oppritunities to perform.
~K~
Plus you would get to attend in their great new studios...

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]