public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:26 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Dansneaker or jazz shoe?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2001 3:24 pm 

Hey everybody, I have been away for some time but I haven't forgot you.<P>I have a question: I started to take jazz class about two months ago. I have to buy a jazz shoe but I don't know. <BR>What do you recomend for a ballerina who just started jazz, dansneaker or jazz shoe?<P>Please, I will be grate ful for your advice.<BR>Thanks!<P>DancerPR<BR>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Dansneaker or jazz shoe?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2001 3:36 pm 

DancerPR....I am not a jazz teacher....but, I would say that perhaps you should ask your jazz teacher? <P>Maybe someone more knowledgeable than I can help.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2001 8:04 pm 

Hi! I'm moving this down to the Students' Questions forum.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2001 9:37 pm 

I agree with Basheva - ask your teacher first she/he may have a preferance. If they don't then really you need to go and try on some different makes of both and see what you like. I have both but I still personally prefer my Bloch split sole jazz shoes as they arch nicely and fit nicely round the heel.<P>But really it sit all down to personal preference. I have students who prefer wearing the dance sneakers.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2001 3:00 am 

I agree that picking shoes for jazz is personal unless you have any foot or ankle problems. I have a pair of split sole shoes and a pair of jazz sneakers because I've found that different teachers prefer different shoes in performances depending on the piece.<P>If you're just taking jazz for fun, find your favorite and have a great time.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2001 5:04 am 

The floor you'll be on will matter to, in my experience dansneakers tend to stick in turns on sticky floors, like wise if the floor is slippery you jazz shoes might not have enough traction. <BR>just a thought <BR>~K~

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2001 10:31 am 

I would suggest split soled jazz shoes for the begining. At least thats what i recommend to my older students that start jazz. I only suggest snakers to my intermediate and advanced students especially for performances. The main resason being that in exams they aren't allowed to wears sneakers, plus i feel a younger student can feel the use of the foot, and help towards its correct use.. a sneaker is kind of bulky for them!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2001 10:31 am 

upps i sent the same message twice..!!<p>[This message has been edited by xwish (edited June 07, 2001).]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2001 9:54 pm 

I would have to agree with xwish. I think it also depends on the style jazz you are executing. I would start out on split sol;e jazz shoes, and then, when comfortable in jazz, get a pair of sneakers. I really like mine, but I think that the jazz shoes are the basic shoe to have.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2001 8:56 am 

I have both, which I really like because it all depends on what you will be doing in that particular class. In a shoe, it is easier to turn, and pointe your feet, but a sneaker helps me jump higher. I also perfer wearing a sneaker if we are going to be doing any kind of hip hop. It really all depends on what you are doing, but if you are just starting out, I would say go for the shoes!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2001 10:29 am 

If you are just starting jazz, I would recommend you start with just a regular jazz shoe, because this is my 9th year of jazz, and I just bought a pair this year. I think before you get used to the steps in jazz you should start with a smaller shoe, because it is easier to point and stuff.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]