public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:05 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Between birth and dancing....
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2001 5:16 am 
BASHEVA or anyone for that matter....in light of the ISSUE of pregnancy,how much time should a mother rest,get her body adjusted before dancing again??? This would be good advice in the future.

Post subject: Re: Between birth and dancing....
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2001 6:15 am 

Angela - that is a question that is quite impossible - for me, anyway, to answer. It is so very individual. As individual as the state of the body before giving birth, how difficult the birth was, and the state of the body after giving birth.<P>The first person to answer that is the doctor. And, the dancer/mother herself. Another complication would be if she is nursing the infant - that takes energy!<P>I believe that Natalia Makarova danced only a couple of months after giving birth - but then she was most probably in fantastic shape beforehand. And there is again, the variable of how difficult the birth process was.<P>Every birth is very individual - and so is the recovery time. I think the general rule of thumb is that is takes the body about one year to fully recover. Remember also that the mother will be up for those wonderful midnight feedings - ack!!<P>So, for me - that is not a question I could even attempt to answer.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2001 12:14 pm 
Thanks for trying anyway!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2001 6:06 am 

I danced while pregnant with my first child, and took class until the day she was born. Strangely she is the one least interested in dance of my three children! What I would like to pass on is something that the doctors did not tell me, even though I advised them of my dancing. As you get bigger, you should omit the jumping, especially during the last trimester.I actually had my daughter prematurely although I am not sure if the jumping contributed to this. As for recovery, I remember doing class with the baby in a carrier next to me at the barre- I had a very understanding teacher. I does take a while to recover, but like was said earlier- every pregnancy and birth is different, and the recoveries are also individual. Big milk filled breasts are another challenge, especially if you're not used to big breasts. If you are in good shape when and during pregnancy, and have a non complicated delivery I would imagine you would be back at class within a couple months, but I am not a doctor.I think age is a factor in recovery time also. The real challenge for me came later when they would cry when I left the house. I did give it up for a while, by choice, to be with my children, I was never professional or anything anyway, just dancing for fun. Now that my kids are older I am back, and am enjoying and appreciating it more than ever.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2001 6:35 am 

Have you read this thread? It may give you some more insight.<P><A HREF=../../../ubb/Forum3/HTML/000017.html>Pregnancy?</A> <BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2001 6:48 am 

And here is another:<P><A HREF=../../../ubb/Forum7/HTML/000532.html><B>Teaching the Special Needs Student - Pregnancy</B></A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2001 12:58 pm 
THANKS RACHAEL and ladies for the ans and threads.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]