public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Gretchen Warrens book
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2001 7:57 am 

Basheva, because you have been touting the loads of information you have gotten from this book, I decided to buy it from Amazon.com. Boy am I glad I did!<P>This is a very well thought out and formatted book. The descriptions of the steps and the accompanying photos really give the reader an idea of how the steps should be executed.<P>What has really helped me at this point is the section about body placement/posture. We talk about it, we give tips about what proper placement should feel like, but this book really SHOWS it. Shows examples of bad posture/placement and then a good posture/placement. It even has a diagram about what your muscles should be feeling on your legs, abdomen, back and shoulders. <P>I've been practicing these at home. My teacher has been trying to work with my placement and I wasn't exactly sure what she was stiving for until I SAW my bad example.<P>So, thanks Basheva for "recommending" this book. I am sure over the years it will become a tattered mess!

Post subject: Re: Gretchen Warrens book
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2001 8:00 am 

AHallMark - I am glad you got this book - it is indeed excellent. The only lack I have found in it so far is not much on attitudes...but no book is perfect.<P>Celia Sparger's "Anatomy and Ballet" is also excellent.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2001 8:55 am 

What is the title of the book? It sounds like a good thing for a beginer like me to check out.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2001 9:47 am 

It is "Classical Ballet Technique" by Gretchen Ward Warren.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2001 10:52 am 

We've had several conversations about this book -- if you searched the archives they would probably show up.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2001 3:16 pm 

You know, I kept getting this nagging feeling that I've seen Warren's book around before...so I opened up my bookshelf and whoops! there it was! It's my well-thumbed "Susan Jaffe" book, as I call it!<P>Wow, now I know what you're talking about! I should pay more attention to the authors!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2001 9:11 pm 

I love that book! Such a good resource. I just thought I'd add my little rave...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2001 5:01 am 

Here is a thread in which we had a previous discussion about this book - about somethings that were not listed - or listed a bit strangely (sorta) -<P><A HREF=../../../ubb/Forum7/HTML/000397.html><B>CLASSICAL BALLET TECHNIQUE - A QUESTION</B></a><p>[This message has been edited by Basheva (edited June 21, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2001 8:48 am 

Has anyone in the UK got an old copy for sale, I know most people want to hang onto theirs but over here it is £70 and I can't afford it. (Classical Ballet technique-in case you were wondering)<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2001 2:32 pm 

Ballet Girl-If you check on amazon.com they have a used section in addition to the new books. You can often find copies of books for very reasonable prices. Look up the book as you would normally to buy it new and when the listing appears it should also note if a used copy is available. <P>Consider e-bay as well! I have found some great dance books on e-bay and many auction sellers will ship to the UK if they are not in fact located in the UK.<P>Or you could do as I do and check it out from the library a zillion times! Image<BR>------------------<BR>The dignity of dance lies in the most noble of instruments, the living bodies of men and women.<BR>~Mary Wigman~<BR><p>[This message has been edited by Misa_danseuse (edited June 21, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2001 3:23 pm 

Great information, Misa...thank you very much.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2001 1:11 am 

Ballet girl - I got a new copy of the Ward-Warren book within the last year from Amazon and it was about £25 - it was a paperback version.<P>HTH

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2001 10:40 am 

Thanks everybody I will try all your suggestions- £25 sound v reasonable, what about credit card security on Amazon, has anyone had any problems<P>Tnankyou

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2001 10:57 am 

i've bought a book from amazon.com and never had troubles with them. no problems with credit card security either. but it takes about a week to receive your book though.<BR>kim<P>------------------<BR>Great Dancers are not great dancers because of their technique: they are great dancers because fo their passion -- Martha Graham<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2001 12:55 pm 

I have not had any credit card problems with Amazon.com either.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next