public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:21 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: What do you think?
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2001 1:19 am 

What are the odds of someone who is 20 getting hired as an apprentice with one of the larger regional companies in the US? I am not talking NYCB, ABT, SFB, PNB or any of the majors, just a decent company. Do you think that at 20 if you don't have any performing experience with any professional companies yet it is to late?? Please tell me truthfully what you think, thanks so much!

Post subject: Re: What do you think?
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2001 2:14 am 

if it is a question, michelle, only of your age, and if your ability is of the correct level, i suspect your chances are as good as any! good luck!

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2001 2:22 am 

I'm with pmeja on this one, Michelle. Go for it, and let us know how it's going! I'm sure Basheva will have many wise and inspirational comments to offer when the West Coast wakes up. Good morning, Basheva!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2001 5:15 am 

Good Morning Nancy -and the rest of the World!! When you wrote that I was sound asleep - zzzzzzzzzz - Yawn.<P>Uh oh - now I have to be wise and inspirational - ack - and no breakfast yet. Oh well.......and ballet class at 9 a.m.<P>MichelleK - since your question is not about technical level but about age....I would say the chances are good. When I took class with San Diego Ballet I saw several people who were apprentices at age 20.<P>Is this something to which you aspire? Do you have plans you can share with us? <P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2001 5:56 am 

Michelle K...how long have you been studying ballet? As far as the "age" question. It would really depend on the dancer. I know someone who got into ABT in her late 20's, early 30's , but she had done some performing with a regional company, got injured, recovered and then knew someone who helped her get an audition with ABT. So, it really depends. It would be helpful if you could tell us (as Basheva suggested) your goals and give us some background.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2001 11:07 am 

Hi,<BR>I just wanted to let you know that a friend of mine went to college, got her degree in ballet and then, at age 21 was taken into the corps of what was at the time Cleveland/San Jose Ballet. I know others apprenticed to Richmond Ballet who are around age 20. Many times people tell you that ballet is all about being young and that is true to an extent. However, You are still young and ability ALWAYS outweighs age. Good Luck!<P>------------------<BR><BR>"If it's self expression you are looking for the place for you is the analyst's couch" - Merce Cunningham

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2001 1:50 am 

Thank you all for the replies. I am graduating from high school this year and I plan to take a year in a very intense ballet program to finish up my training. The year after that I plan on auditioning for companies while continuing to train and also trying to get a bit of college done in New York City. That would make me 19 or 20 at the time I auditioned and 20 the following year when I would begin an apprenticeship or whatever position if any was offered. I started my ballet training later than most but in only a few years have come a long way, I still have things I know need work that is why I am taking next year to figure out if ballet will really be something I can do professionally. That is the basic plan for now!!! <p>[This message has been edited by MichelleK (edited May 24, 2001).]

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2001 2:58 pm 

MichelleK, it is great that you do have a plan of action worked out. A year of intensive ballet training should help you to define your goals, and your teachers may be able to give you some feedback on how to proceed. Good luck to you!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2001 8:21 pm 

I also know someone who got into ABT in her late 20's, entering as a soloist. She too was already familiar to someone there and had danced in a regional company previously. (LOL, might we know the same person?)<P>Actually I know quite a number of dancers who entered regional companies at the age of 20. My daughter's ballet school has a post-graduate training program so every year they have dancers of 19 and 20 years old looking for jobs. And every year, most of them do go on to some regional company. (btw, some of them are at Richmond Ballet; maybe we're speaking about the same people again. That would be funny.) Many of them are dancers who did the bulk of their training elsewhere, but came here for the finishing touches. As the others have stated, if your technique is sound, etc., your age shouldn't be a factor.<p>[This message has been edited by JM (edited May 26, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]