CriticalDance Forum

It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:50 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: HOW OLD IS TO OLD TO BEGIN POINTE
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 12:46 pm 

HEY, IAM GOING TO BE 16 IN A COUPLE OF WEEKES AND I LOVE BALLET WITH A PASSION AND I HAVE THE TECNIQUE,BUT IAM NOT IN POINTE. I STOPED BALLET LESSONS IN A STUDIO 1YEAR BEFORE POINTE BECAUSE OF MONEYAND NOW I HAVE THE MONEY BUT AM I TO OLD?I AM ALSO ALITTLE OVER WEIGHT BUT I AM TRING TO TAKE CARE OF THAT NOW. IREALLY LOVE BALLET AND WOULD IVE ANYTHING TO BE A DANCER. I JUST WANT TO KNOW IF ITS TO LATE. I MEAN IAM VERY FLEXABLE I HAVE STRONG ANKLES AND I HAVE DONE [POINTE ON MY OWN AND I CAN SPRING ON TO POINTE AND I HAVE THE TECNIQUE AND I AM TAKING DANCE IN SCHOOL BUT I WANT TO TAKE IT TO ANOTHER LEVEL I WANT TO BE A PROFESSIONAL DANCER. PLEASE HELP ME

Post subject: Re: HOW OLD IS TO OLD TO BEGIN POINTE
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 1:13 pm 

Hi balletlover and welcome to CriticalDance. I'm going to move your post to our "Students Questions and Experiences" forum further down, where I'm sure you will get responses from our experienced team.

One point, we would really appreciate it if you didn't use all caps in future. It's called "shouting" on the Internet.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 8:59 am 

Hello and a second welcome balletlover. Have you asked your teacher what she thinks about your ability to go on pointe? How many classes are you taking per week? I don't think that someone is ever too old to learn anything but they must be ready and have the technique and meet all of the other requirements.

It's good to hear that you are back dancing doing something that you love so much.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:12 pm 

Hi. I have to echo Lucy's comments and recommend that you kept your teachers aprised of what your ambitions are and ask them for help and advice. Wearing pointe shoes around the house for fun is okay but the technical work needs to be properly done in the classroom.

And no, you are never too old. Work hard, talk to your teachers, and have fun dancing!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:49 pm 

Sorry to disagree but I don't think that wearing pointe shoes around the house for fun is necessarily OK. It's pretty easy to twist your ankle even if you know what you're doing.

A mis-fit pair can put a lot of pressure on your feet and you can develop bad habits which will take a while to fix.

Bad habits in technique are a PAIN! Trust me, I'm very experienced with bad habits :(

Be careful.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]