public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:50 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: "Sports" drinks
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 9:46 am 

With this beastly hot weather we're having, I would like to know your opinions of such things as Gatorade. It certainly tastes good after getting so hot and sweaty, but does it really "replace electrolytes" and needed minerals as claimed, or is water just as beneficial? Also, is it ok to drink water during class? I understand some people think you should not, because it will cause muscle cramps or something. Thanks for your opinions.<BR>

Post subject: Re: "Sports" drinks
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 10:57 am 

Let me give you my own experience. My first teacher, old Russian school, would never allow us to drink water during class. And after class, not ice water, just cool water.<P>She told us that we would get really ill if we stopped and drank water. Well, one day it being particularly hot, and her class being even harder than usual - I snuck into the back room and took a sip of cool water and then went back to class. Very quickly I was positively GREEN with a queasy stomach. I never did that again.<P>However, these days, I see kids and young people in class with their water bottles, sipping all the time. They don't seem to get sick. But, I still wait until after class.<P>As for what I drink....well, ..er...I only drink three things.....bottled water, juice (100% juice only) and non-fat milk. Yep, I hate to admit what a dud I am....but except for a very occasional cup of non-caffeinated herbal tea on a very cool afternoon....that's it, water, juice, milk.<P>Boring huh?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 11:22 am 

Sissonne, I think that sports drinks are created to replace the electrolytes and minerals that you lose after a lengthy bout of activity, like running for over two hours. If you notice that your dance clothes have a whitish sweat stain then you are the kind of person that sweats heavily enough to deplete yourself of minerals (those white sweat stains are salt). Most of us don't do that in dance class on a regular basis. <P>Personally, I find that sports drinks give me a stomach ache so I usually cut them with water when I do activities like long distance cycling. They will give you a little boost if you're dancing but what your body proabably wants is just plain old water at a coolish but not cold temperature. Like Basheva says it can cause you to cramp up. I usually drink a small amount slowly, like half a mouthfull or so. I don't recommend sucking down a lot of water and then doing jumps or some big combination across the floor but some people seem ok with it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 3:39 pm 

After fainting in a dance class, I talked to my doctor, and he told me that Sports drinks can actually be very bennificial to you, when you are working hard and sweting alot. What sports drinks have that water don't, is alot of salt, which you lose when you sweat. Surprisinly, your body needs certian ammounts of salt. With out them you may do what I did and end up on the floor! Now, my very over protective parents never let me out the door to a dance class or Compition with out my Gatoraid!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 7:30 pm 

Dance Spirit magazine had a review of sports drinks maybe two months ago. You could probably find it on their web site by now. They can be beneficial. Make sure it's room temperature, though. The biggest problem with drinking cool or cold water when you're hot is the shock of the cold hitting the elevated body temperature. Imagine getting a bucket of cold water dumped on you after a steaming hot shower. Same effect -- a real shock to the system. Major No No. Always drink warm or room temperature especially in the summer.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 4:47 am 

Neat topic. It's amazing how different we all are. For me, if I drink the sports drinks during activity, I pass out from the sugar! I do better with small amounts of water.<P>As a student, I was never allowed to drink water during class. There is a water cooler in the studio where I teach now, and the kids get a water break between barre and centre. Most take advantage of it with no ill effects; some know it will make them feel woozy and pass it up. Fewer of my adult students drink water during class, but if they need it, I have no problem with it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 7:38 am 

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I pass out from the sugar!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yep, there's a lot of that in sports drinks. Which is a good point about using them for endurance activities--you burn the sugars before they turn to fat. Not the case in dance class which tends to be anaerobic activity. <P>Also, if you are fainting in your classes you may want to think about your general nutrition--what are you not getting enough of in your diet? If you need simple sugars to get you through class you may want to do some re-evaluating.<P><p>[This message has been edited by Marie (edited August 01, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2001 6:48 am 

Thanks for all your replies. When I do drink Gatorade, it's after a really hot exhausting class, while I'm having a snack, and it does seem to perk me up. I don't drink much of it, because of the sugar, but perhaps it's the salt that helps me. <BR>

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]