public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:04 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Flexability
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2001 10:24 am 

My daughter will be 12 in Oct. She is not that flexible, and does not have any confidence doing splits. I have gotten people<BR>who are dancers suggest to her differernt exercises and stretches,to no avail. She did<BR>not graduate from her level 3 class. The 1st<BR>time she has not graduated since she started<BR>taking ballet in 1996. The faculty at the school said she has to get more flexible/stronger. Any suggestions??? It would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Flexability
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2001 11:12 am 

Pcvaldesfan, I have many students in your daughter's age range who have not yet developed their extensions or strength, but who are beautiful young dancers. There is hope.<P>Did her exams actually include splits? I'd be curious to know where her "deficit" in flexibility showed up on her exams. Also, strength is a separate (yet related) issue. Can you give us a bit more information?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2001 12:08 pm 

I am interested in your statement that she has no confidence to work on her splits and that exercises have been suggested "to no avail".....does that mean she does not want to work on these exercises? or that the exercises aren't working?<P>It takes some of us (moi, for example) many years to be able to accomplish the splits. For me it was a constant work in progress....to get the splits and to maintain them. Youth does not automatically mean flexibility. But there is always an upside, - with a tighter construction often comes greater natural stability. Not always, but often.<P>And some of us are flexible in different ways - side to side or front to back. And any of many other variations. Have you read this thread:<P><A HREF=../../../ubb/Forum7/HTML/000291.html><B>Stretch and Strength</B></A><P>Many of the ballet exercises are designed to impart both strength (stability) and flexibility. Let's take grand battement for instance. If the student does these while <u>correctly alligned</u> and goes for the highest battement possible within that parameter, that is a great stretch preparation for splits. Or developpé, for instance.<P>While within the same grand battement exercise if the student does not allow the leg to drop, but controls the leg back down to the ground, that will develop strength. That strength will enable the student to hold the developpé. So that is an example of one exercise that, if done properly, can add both to the student's strength and stretch.<P>One doesn't have to do anything extreme, elaborate, fancy, showy, - just fulfill fully the parameters of a ballet exercise and many goals will be met.<P>I agree with Nancy - more information would be helpful.<P><BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2001 5:30 pm 

She could also be at that age where her growth spurt makes her less flexible for the time being. That can last for a couple years. Twelve is classic for flexibility problems.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2001 11:15 pm 

I couldn't do my splits when I was 12 either because I grew tall very quickly and lost them. I promise you, I was not flexible at all. But my teacher helped me a lot to reach the standard I am now(I 'm 15, by the way). Your daughter just needs patient and she will fo them, I 'm sure.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]