public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:25 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: The arch of the foot
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2001 5:13 am 

I think that many a young dancer is worried about the arch of the foot...mainly females because of the necessary strength in the arch needed for pointe.<P>Lately I've been noticing the number of young women who are concerned with the "look" of their arch, and would do pretty much anything (including buying crazy stretching contraptions) to improve their arch. It seems that they are worried for purely "cosmetic" purposes.<P>Now, I have "servicable" feet - definately not "banana" or "Paloma" feet, but they work...even for pointe. I could, I suppose, improve the arch so it is more extreme - but is this a wise idea? If your feet work just fine for you, is it a good idea to try and increase the arch just so it looks better? Do you run the risk of weakening an otherwise strong foot? <P>What do you think?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The arch of the foot
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2001 6:33 am 

Bree - I agree with you entirely. I, too, have "serviceable" feet. I would never, ever, use anything extreme or artificial to stretch my feet. As a dancer, as a dancer on pointe, or even just a person getting through life, the feet take an incredible amount of stress. They don't need any extreme measures!<P>It is true that - and I have personally seen this - people with super highly arched feet have a great deal of difficulty with strength. I knew one who had to give up her career because of it.<P>I am convinced it is the way one learns to use their feet that is important. I have seen the Prima Ballerina Alicia Alonso take her class in a studio and SHE didn't have highly arched feet at all. But she made you think she did - because of the way she used them. <P>Any kind of extreme stretching could very well lead to future problems. Read the thread we had on :<P><A HREF=../../../ubb/Forum19/HTML/000008.html><B>Tools of the Trade - the Feet</B></A><P>And Bree - I think you are right. Overwhelming concern about this becomes more cosmetic and obsessive than constructive.<P><BR><p>[This message has been edited by Basheva (edited June 28, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2001 7:23 am 

I do agree with you both to a point. I mean I do think that my feet work for me and all but sometimes its just not good enough for teachers or if you are trying out for a company, etc. But if you dont want to go that way with your dance career you dont really need that type of feet. I really want to be in a company so I am trying to give them what they want. Plus my feet are pretty flexible so they form easily when done right. My chiropractor says to go to a foot docter that will give me orthotics and exersices. That alot safer than foot stretchers although I will have to ask the doctor about them. thanx ......

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2001 2:28 pm 

I am very interested, Ballerina, about your comment about what the "companies" want in a ballet dancer.<P>I have read many a company audition poster which says "lithe, supple body, small head, long neck, short torso, long legs, natural facility for 180 degree turnout...and highly arched feet."<P>Not everyone can have banana feet! I don't understand why companies would expect their dancers to have such arched feet, even if it is unnatural and dangerous!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2001 10:21 am 

I totally agree with you!! I mean we can have very nice lines without highly arched feet! And I dont think that most people have that kind of foot either.<P>------------------<BR>*Lil Ballerina* <BR> ~Keep on Dancin!~

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]