public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:41 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Two stretching questions . .
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2001 4:38 am 

I really need to increase my hamstring flexibility because they always get really sore if i try to stretch them. I've heard of PNF stretching but I dont know if it is safe, has anyone tried it? If so, how is it done and does it hurt?<P>Also does anyone know any good stretches to increase the back flexibility *safely* in arabesque? I really have no idea on this one because my teacher does not do any stretching before or after class . . .<P>Btw, thanks for the bike riding recommendation Basheva. I have been going for a bike ride about 3 times a week now and its brilliant!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Two stretching questions . .
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2001 5:07 am 

I am glad to hear you are enjoying your bike ride...it's great exercise. Especially if you have a nice place to ride, like I do. It's best to try and find someplace away from vehicular traffic. <P>As for stretches for the back - there is one that I always ALWAYS do, that I described in another thread.....here goes again...so I hope it is not a repeat for you.<P>Stand at the barre, sideways to the mirror. Point your outside foot to the back. Now WITHOUT PUTTING ANY WEIGHT WHATSOEVER on the back pointing foot, do a backbend over that foot. Watch it in the mirror - still hold onto the barre.<P>Now, as you come up from the backbend bring that pointing foot with you into arabesque. The idea is not to come up even one inch without that leg coming up with you. Feel your back muscles engaged in lifting that leg. They are very powerful muscles - use them. <P>After you reach arabesque, continue on into penché, still engaging those muscles. Go into your full penché, and then come up again to arabesque. If you do this religiously after your are warmed up in class, I am pretty sure it will help. It worked wonders for me.<P>Another one is to developpé into arabesque, fondu on the standing leg. Usually the arabesque will be higher in fondu than with a straight standing leg. Now straighten the standing leg, and try to maintain the height you achieved while you were in fondu. This works well for the side and front as well.<P>Hope this helps.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]