public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:33 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Percentage Of Students In Companies
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:15 am 

As we all know, very few ballet students make it into professional companies.It would be interesting to know though, what percentage of students in schools that have professional training programs get in? And what school/schools
produce the most number of students who go on to be professional dancers?
Does anyone know if there has ever been a survey of this kind conducted?

Post subject: Re: Percentage Of Students In Companies
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 12:24 pm 

Hi i would be very interested to know this as well except more so for the contemporary dance schools in England so if anyone knows about that as well it would be helpful!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:27 pm 

The Joffrey School has a higher placement rate than just about anywhere else, reportedly around 80%.

But this is the wrong question to ask. More than going to the "right school" or finding the "right company", you need to develop the RIGHT SKILLS. Find a teacher who will train you, and work like crazy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:40 pm 

citibob,all I was saying is it would be interesting to know the statistics.I wasn't talking about me going to a school with a high amount of graduates placed in companies.
If you look at many brocheures of professional ballet academies, a lot of them list the different companies that their students have gone on to dance with.Even though a school has trained people who have become professional dancers,not everyone who trains at such a school will become a dancer.I have looked at North Carolina School Of The Arts and it seems they have quite a good number of students going on into companies.I don't know the percentage,but there seems to be quite a good number of people listed.
Does anyone know how many people at other schools get jobs?
What about the National Ballet School Of Canada,PNB,SAB,SFB etc.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:33 pm 

The Joffrey School of NYC has an 80% rate of placement in Pro. Companies? I find that hard to believe. I would think SAB would probably have the highest. Mostly because they are all about getting their students who graduate, jobs.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:15 pm 

Actually, I was told that Joffrey School has higher rate than SAB. The reason why is the SAB students tend to have more of an "all or nothing" attitude. And when they don't make it into NYCB or ABT or PNB, they go on to college or law school or something else in life. The Joffrey students are more likely to find some company --- any company --- to dance with. They weren't necessarily expecting a top dance job to begin with anyway.

I take this store as a case in point: the statistics Rasberry seeks aren't as meaningful as one might hope. What Rasberry really needs to know is "how does enrolling in a particular school affect MY chances of success in a ballet career?" That is actually somewhat different from "how many students at school X go on to professional careers." Clearly, enrolling at SAB (if you can get in) will give you better chances than at Joffrey; although as I mentioned above, the Joffrey students more often end up as professional dancers.

I will say it again: the best way to maximize your possibility for a dance career is to find an environment in which you progress well, and to work hard at it over time. Sorry there's no magic here. Ultimately it's YOU who'se out there on stage, not the school you trained with.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:04 am 

Well said Citibob!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 12:21 am 

Yeah thanks thats just what i've needed to hear!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:22 pm 

Come on citibob, lets be honest now. The school you are from opens doors for you and sometimes they are very big doors. That is not to say that hard work from an idividual will not go unnoticed and pay off in his/her future and even land them in a large company where they can even retire. But if you dont think that have French, Russian or English school (and you know the ones I am talking about)dosent get you looked at first you need to start auditioning again. First thing is school they look at, second is teacher. It is important that the auditioners know you came from a "good line" (in their minds at least which might be alittle sckewed). There is no getting around it hard work is what pays off. But honestly if you are holding the correct key to the right doors that dosent hurt either.
Tony

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 10:44 am 

citibob...where did you get this information on Joffrey? Are these statistics acurate according to the past few years?? I am not sure how true this is? Interesting though!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]