CriticalDance Forum

It is currently Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:11 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: high arches.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 11:08 pm 

I have quite high arches, but when I go onto pointe you would never be able to tell. When in a soft slipper you can see the arch, but in pointe shoes nothing. I've used sylphides and aspirations. Tried Gaynors which dont work for me. What can I do to actually show my arch off.

Post subject: Re: high arches.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:40 am 

Hay are you asking about your arches on the bottom of your feet or your insteps on the top?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 5:21 pm 

both are quite high so both.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 6:08 pm 

you need to point from your ankle not you foot, that will show off feet very well. Anyone that has truley high arches and showed them off well wore freeds,

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 6:20 pm 

well i deshanked my old slphides and last night in a technique last i went up onto pointe. And the shoe was fine I didn't feel unstabel and actually it felt really good on my foot. Is it bad for my foot to do this. Also my teacher told me that when she did pointe they took out half of the shank. Has anyone heard of this, has anyone done this and where would you cut the shank exactly.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 6:33 pm 

Where you cut the shank depends on the foot. Your teacher seems to be knowledgeable about this subject, have you asked her where to cut it?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 6:48 pm 

I have feet like yours, hay, and have the same problem as well. I havent found a solution...

My thought is... if i just point my foot from the ankle, that wont change the shape of the shank... its flat against the floor when im standing flat, and it would be flat if all i did was change my ankle, too!

I've been kind of afraid of taking out part of the shank because of the support id lose... i dont have alot of experience with pointe shoes.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:14 pm 

You are not going to have the same line in point shoes as you do in flat. That will never change. Stop looking at the line of your feet and look at the line of your leg. If that is all good it will be great. As for cutting your shank, you should cut that shank right where the under part of you heel starts to curve up to your arch. Point your foot without any shoes on and try and form your shoe to look like that. I hate to say 3/4 shank them because that will even be different on everyone. You need to look at where and how you foot shapes and opperate on the shoe to match it. I dont know if you arches are truely high, you are right there is no way the shank will be even touching the whole bottom of your foot. So cut the shank so as much of it as possible will be touching your foot at all times, even on point. If you are scared to cut a new pair of shoes, get a broken pair and cut a tiny bit off at a time and put the shoe on until you get the right feel and look you want.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 1:13 pm 

I used to remove the nail from the shank just under the heel. Then I cut some of the under shank off leaving the top shank whole but not connected to the shoe. It was more comfortable for me and my arch than cutting the shank off. I would pass this by your teacher and see if she thinks this is ok for you to do. I just did this for one of the students that I am working with and she was thrilled with the results.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]