public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:08 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Ballet Beginner..need advice & encouragment
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:14 am 

Ok..Hey, Loz here.

I like in the UK and in September I will be starting my first lessons of ballet and tap and I'm so excited but a little apprehensive.
Any advice on getting prepared and boosting my confidence ?

I need your help on what shoes I will need.
My teacher said I can do the first lesson in bare foot but I'd rather be prepared.
She said that I should wear 'ballet shoes' which sort are these..are they the material pumps kind of thing ?

Also, tap shoes, are they all the same or are they different for beginners/intermediates etc ?
I'm so confused because I'm a beginner.

Any adivce/help or information its really appreciated !

Thanks x

Post subject: Re: Ballet Beginner..need advice & encouragment
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:54 am 

Any of these would almost certainly be acceptable, I personally prefer something similar to the canvas split-soles at the bottom of the page, though this may be because it's one of the cheaper types of shoe that can be ordered in white (because, being male, I generally prefer colors other than pink), but anyway, you'll probably want pink if you're female, white or black if you're male.
This catalog also sells taps, but I don't tap so I can't really help you, except to say that the simplest, cheapest shoes would probably be fine, and the shiny, glittery, and colored shoes at the top of the page would probably be considered ostentatious and somewhat garish.
As far as the confidence goes, if you get into a class with some more advanced students as well as beginners, remember that they've been dancing longer than you, and while you should aspire to their level, don't expect to be there for at least a year or so.
Good luck, and I hope this has helped!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:24 pm 

Hey thanks for you help !

I went to get my shoes yesterday and I tried on taps like the 'Low heel, all leather tap shoes without fitted toe taps' but the assistant found that there was to much of a gap at the front of the shoe as my feet are funny sizes.

She recommended that I wore the taps that were like a shoe..do you think these would be ok?
I also got pink ballet slippers..full sole..as she said most beginners wear these...hope these sort are ok?

You know the elastic that goes over the top of the ballet slipper...this is necessary isn't it?

Appreciate the help, sorry i dont know all the technical terms x x

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:40 am 

it's better if you sew the elasctics, trust me ; you feel safer, more 'held' also , you might prefer split soles later on, it's more comfortable :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:00 pm 

Thanks for your help..both of you x x

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:10 am 

I think as far as the tap shoes you described are concerned they sound like Oxfords and they are fine and will give plenty of support to the foot.

For a beginner I would steer clear of any of the jazz taps as they can take a while to break in.

It is best to try on different styles and see which one feels most comfy. Believe me comfort is the most important thing in dance shoes.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]