public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:42 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: posture
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2001 4:20 pm 

I have a question on posture. For the past couple weeks i have been trying to make myslef more aware of my posture(I tend to slouch a lot, especially when doing h/w on the floor). So whenever i catch myself not sitting correctly i immediately sit up straight. However, i notice that after 15 minutes i find that i takes work/effort to sit up straight. Is this because i don't use those muscles requarly so it will take time for my body to get ajusted? or should i consult a doctor?<P>salima

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: posture
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2001 4:44 pm 

I found that over the years dancing has really helped my posture. As a child I don't think I had good posture, so this has been a change for me.<P>Salima, I think that the very idea that you are aware of the problem, puts you several steps ahead of your non-dancing contemporaries. A dancer who uses her abdominals, and spends so much time working on alignment, uses her back correctly, has the wherewithal with which to correct her daily posture. The structure and the knowledge are already there.<BR> <BR>Unless you feel there is some structural deficiency and/or problem, I don't think a medical opinion is necessary. But you could consult a physical therapist for a professional opinion. Or you could ask your ballet teacher.<P>I think that dancers are just more aware of when they slouch, because they spend so much time pulling up. <P>In the end it really pays off. I go to a writer's seminar every week. There are about 50 or more people there. Most of them are much older than me (and I am old!!) and most of the ladies are quite humped - some quite severly. There is one lady who is in her 80's, however, who has the loveliest, straightest back you would ever want to see.<P>Guess what? She was a dancer. And every day she gives herself a barre. Isn't that wonderful? <P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2001 7:22 pm 

Basheva,<P> Thanks for the input. So basically you would say that, the reason why it feels like work after awhile is because i'm not completely use to is?<P>sc

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2001 8:14 pm 

I too notice my posture, I have excellent posture hwen walking due to my years in marching band and dancing, but when I sit or in some floor exercies, ugh my posture droops, so I have to really really focus and remember to pull myself up! Image<P>Sincerly,<BR>Jan<P>------------------<BR>Teaching Today Touches Tomorrow!<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2001 4:46 am 

Salima, I would say that as time goes on and your dance study and knowledge increases, and the strength in your muscles increases it will get better - that has been my personal experience anyway. Much of it is just awareness.<P>It is also the equipment upon which you chose to sit. A slouchy chair fosters slouchy posture. There is, however, no way that your body is going to be erect all the time. Any one position can be maintained for only so long before the muslces tire. As you know that is why our bodies are always moving, even when we think they are still. <P>Awareness is vital - and half the battle. Most people aren't even aware of their posture.<P>I bet all that marching did help, Jan. Except for those who carried those big drums and had to lean back. Ballet dancers tend to be forward on their feet. People who march tend to have a heavy heel strike in their stride. From what I have observed.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]