CriticalDance Forum

It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:57 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: STEPSny
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 3:52 pm 

I am considering taking some ballet classes at STEPS NY for about 3 weeks in May. (I do not live in New York, but I will stay at my brother's place during this time. After the three weeks I have to work back home in PA.) I am a 20yr old adult beginner.

If i take classes almost everyday at STEPS for three weeks, do you think this could be beneficial to me as a dancer? I don't feel i have attended decent schools in the past, and i'm not sure if Berks Ballet Theatre (at home) will offer many summer classes during the time I am working. Does anybody have any comments about STEPS that I should know about? Are there any beginning ballet classes that adults may tend to attend more (b/c of time schedule or whatnot)?

Post subject: Re: STEPSny
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 9:22 am 

cly119,
I would recommend Emilietta Ettlin's floor barre to anyone. All levels take this class and it's very beneficial to many dancers. It teaches the fundamentals of her placement theories and is a great workout for deep abdominals. They're really tough workouts and I'd recommend taking more than once, so you can begin to understand the technique she's teaching.

Tuesday Thursday 1:30-3.

Her ballet is good too. She teaches advanced beginner (be forewarned--advanced beginner classes in New York are actually quite challenging. A lot of schools around the country would call these "advanced")

Don't know much about the beginner's "scene" in New York--but I'd look at Broadway Dance Center in addition to STEPS. They have a lot of beginner's classes and sort of a "fun" atmosphere. I notice Kat Wildish teaches Begginner's ballet. I've never taken with her so I can't vouch for it--but she seems like a really popular teacher.

<small>[ 28 April 2003, 11:34 AM: Message edited by: lampwick ]</small>

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 3:45 pm 

I wouldn't recommend Steps for the adult beginner if you're looking to advance your technique. More than likely you'll be in large classes with all levels of dancers no matter what the level, esp. if someone well-known is teaching the class and you won't receive the individual attention that you would need to be able to increase your technique. What you will find are amazing dancers who you can look up to but any more than that, then your wasting your money. I use Steps as a place to see where i am technically as compared to other dancers and go from there.
I would recommend some of the smaller school's, or at least school's that don't first come to mind when visiting NY. For example, Peridance (the school I go to primarily for the time being until this summer at Ailey-yeah!!) has wonderful teachers who give individual and group corrections in a non-competitive atmosphere that you would find at Steps. There's a mix of professional modern dancers, adults, students, and the occassional ballet dancer who likes the atmosphere. You could also try Ballet East Academy, small school but beautiful studios and I have heard things about Ballet Arts.
Body therapy classes, especially pilates, at Steps I think is a good idea because you will recieve individual attention and it would definitely help you technique in class.
Just my opinions. Never mentioned BDC because I've never been there.
vd

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 4:21 pm 

I can vouch for some fine beginner's teachers at Ballet Academy East (93d St. and 3d Avenue).

Also, Lowell Smith teaches MWF 9AM at Broadway Dance Center. He could be very good for you.

If you really want to improve, then you should pretty much find one or two teachers and take their classes regularly. Or, you could spend three weeks sampling many teachers. You probably won't improve as much, but you'll have seen a lot of interesting things you don't get to see at home.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 10:19 pm 

any recommendations for Ballet academy east?

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 5:06 am 

Yes, I will recommend BAE. I've studied with Lorna Zawacki, she's quite good. Other teachers there are as well. One guy was a former dancer for the Ballets Russes, you could study with him. He's VERY GOOD, I'm told.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 9:32 am 

BAE is having their spring performance soon, and the classes will probably mostly be for rehearsal. Therefore, i have decided to take classes at Broadway Dance Center. Do you think it's better to take classes in the morning rather than night? In general (at any NY dance school), do you think more younger people go in the morning? But how can they if they go to school?

Thanks.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]