public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:23 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: ready for Pointe or to soon??
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2001 1:12 pm 

Salima - I hate to say this - but it is true. Even after giving this information to parents - sometimes they still will do this to their daughter. I know it doesn't make sense. I know it's hard to believe. I know the parent is supposed to be the guardian of the child's health and welfare. But in some cases, it just isn't so.<P>I had a lovely student one time - about 8 yrs. old - very talented - very sweet little girl. I had her about three years. Then when she was eight her parents moved away across the country. Another mother who kept in touch with this family told me that at her new studio, the teacher was going to put her on pointe - at EIGHT years old.<P>I was really upset. The child had beautiful - but delicate feet. She was a very delicately built child. I called the mother long distance, at my expense, and gave her my opinion, told her about some books she could read on the subject (Celia Sparger's "Anatomy and the Ballet" for instance), explained how the major ballet schools wait until the girls are older, told her what damage could be done. <P>It was a very pleasant conversation. The mother thank me profusely for calling. <u>And then they put her on pointe anyway.</u><P>?????????????????????????????

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2001 6:31 pm 

Basheva, that IS sooo sad......I feel sorry for that girl....and the mother....my gosh...you'd think they would listen to the teachers since they would know more...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2001 6:10 pm 

At the grand old age of 39, I am starting very basic pointe lessons (I started ballet at 30).<P>I have been told many times that I have beautiful feet - very high arch and flexible. But, the flipside is that they are not particularly strong althoug, ironically, I seem to have better control, balance and alignment when on pointe than on demi. Can you recommend some good strengthening exercises that I can do at home?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2001 6:38 pm 

HBC - first let me welcome you to the board - it's great to have you join us.<P>It is true that there is almost always an upside and a downside to most things - and a highly arched foot is one of those things. You are right, it is beautiful but the downside is a less strong construction than a tight foot. <P>The best way to work on this strength is with tendu - slowly pressing into the floor as you extend to full pointe, whilst going through every part of the foot. Fully articulate both as you go out and as you come back in. Use the floor as an isometric exercise.<P> Then extend this concept to every exercise at the barre. For each degagé/glisé, for every rond de jamb, grand battement etc., don't simply brush out and pointe your foot - fully articulate it and always use the floor as an isometric exercise. Iron the floor with your foot. You can do this without putting weight on the foot - which would, of course, be wrong.<P>You can also sit on a chair and with your bare feet pleat up a towel with your toes. You can also place your foot on the floor and try to raise and flex each toe separately. This is very difficult to do at first - but with patient work it does get better. You can also pick up objects with your toes.<P>When you are on demi-pointe be very careful how you place your weight on your feet. Remember to neither roll in nor out. Keep your weight on the first three toes of your foot - that is where your strength lies.<P>Here are a couple of threads you might want to read:<P><A HREF=../../../ubb/Forum7/HTML/000332.html><B>Pointe - Assessing Readiness</B></A><P><BR>Within this thread you will find a link to another thread called "Tendu - A Waste of Time?":<P><A HREF=../../../ubb/Forum7/HTML/000334.html><B>Tendu</B></A><P>I hope this helps. And once, again, welcome!<P><BR><p>[This message has been edited by Basheva (edited August 17, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2