public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:36 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Quads and arches!! Please help!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2001 12:47 pm 

Hi all! I have two problems....<BR>1. I have very musclar thighs I want to some how slim them down a bit. The stretchesI'm doing dont seem to help....I try to use my muscles properley everytime I dance and workout......<BR>2. I have very low arches but ppl still say I have good feet. How can I make my feet have a nice rounded arch? I do tendues and glies and exercises similar to those and they help to strengthen my feet..but I always get comments from judges at dance competitions to stretch my feet and build up a better arch. They never told me how to do this....<P>Please help! Thanx!<P>------------------<BR>*Lil Ballerina* <BR> ~Keep on Dancin!~

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Quads and arches!! Please help!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2001 1:22 pm 

Lil Ballerina.....to a certain extent there are limits because of how we are each made, our genetics, on how our legs/muscles look. This also includes our arches in our feet.<P>You can work at it...but there are limits to the amount that it will change. The first thing to keep in mind is that you don't want to do anything extreme to try to produce high arches - because you will hurt your feet WITHOUT attaining what you want. <P>There is no way someone with a small arch (like me!!) will ever have a high arch. On the other hand, people with low arches have strong feet - so that is an asset.<P>The safest and best way, is the slowest and surest way - tendus, pleating up towels with your bare toes, articulating through your foot every time you do a tendu. There are no magic solutions. No quick fixes. <P>As for the shape of your legs...that too is greatly determined by the genetics of your family. Just like your height. Ballet class will certainly help. Patient, careful stretching, using the right muscles, correct alignment - but again there are no magic solutions. I sure wish there were!! I could use a few!!<P>You also have to learn to work with what you have - showing off the good things and learning to work with the other things.<P>If you are articulating through your feet - every time, fully stretching out when you pointe, then you are doing what needs to be done. No matter what the judges say - you have to work within the parameters of your own body.<P>I have to say, that is one of the reasons I really don't care for competitions and judges. But that is just my personal opinion. Dancing is SO much more than high arches and high extensions and things like that. <P>It will be interesting to see what others have to say. <P><BR><p>[This message has been edited by Basheva (edited July 30, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 5:53 am 

I too have rather large thigh and leg muscles and feet with less-than-banana arches. I have had to come to terms that these are the limits of my body and no amount of stretching or special exercises will be able to give me the lean, coltish legs and Paloma Herrara arches that are desired by most dancers.<P>Your servicable feet will protect you from injury. Highly arched feet may look nice but are actually weaker than feet with a lesser amount of arch - they are "looser" in construction and actually are more prone to injury.<P>I have never personally done competitions, although I have attended a few. I never have agreed with judges telling people that they need a "better arch" or should "point the foot harder." It wouldn't bother me so much if the dancer was forgetting to point her foot (floppy feet) or was careless in the articulation of her foot - but most of the time these judges are interested in the aesthetics - that is to say, they don't always think about the personal limitations of the dancer.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2001 5:43 pm 

Thank you both of you that was very helpful! I got a book from the library and it was from the National ballet school, and they had thighs like mine in the pictures. They have gone down when I stretch and I stretch them everyday. I know I cant do much for my feet but I KNOW they are capable of so much more than what they look like right now. I will keepon trying nd I will use your suggestions. Thank you again! <P>------------------<BR>*Lil Ballerina* <BR> ~Keep on Dancin!~

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2001 5:45 pm 

I am also wondering f I should continue running and doing track and field in school? It develops all of the wrong muscle. And What about ridng my bike?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2001 6:33 pm 

We had another thread on this that you might want to read:<P><A HREF=../../../ubb/Forum7/HTML/000300.html><B>Best Sport for Dance</B></A><P>Track and field could have some problems. Many people do believe that it builds and uses muscles quite differently than ballet. And that can be a problem. But aside from that you also have to be very careful what kind of surface you are running on and what kind of shoes that you are using.<P>Some school districts allow ballet students to take their ballet class in place of PE. Several of my students did that.<P>I personally ride my bike, and have for the last 15 yrs. or so and have never found it to be detrimental to my dancing.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]