CriticalDance Forum

It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:50 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Aches, pain, and Age
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 1:48 pm 

I started ballet again at the age of 27 after a five year hiatus. I've been taking 4 classes a week for about 3-and-a-half months now from the same teacher. The classes are Advanced Beginning level (NYC advanced beginner).

I have improved tremendously so far in terms of regaining flexibility and have learned for the first time how to really be placed correctly over the standing leg, and how to use my back.

The only thing that's really holding me back is constant tightness and achiness, especially in my hips. After barre, I feel quite loose but by the end of class I'm very tight again and can't do any deep stretching because of the discomfort. I'm always pretty sore the day after class.

I remember from my teenage years being sore after taking a couple months off for summer, but that would soon go away after a couple of weeks and I'd be fine again. Now...I know I'm no longer a teenager and it has been a VERY long time since I was dancing but,

Can I expect to reach a point of equilibrium? Will I eventually not be so sore? I'm not really injured. I can tell it's plain ol' muscle aches. Is this just a fact of life when you get old? The stiffness, the soreness? Oh, so sad... :(

Post subject: Re: Aches, pain, and Age
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 1:08 am 

Have you tried just doing some hip flexibility exercises before class. nothing too strenuous just to help mobility - like figures of 8 that sort of thing? Also check that you are not forcing your turnout - we all have natural degrees of turnoutand sometimes if we try to force beyond that it can cause problems at the hip joint.

If it is really giving you a lot of discomfort then a chat to your doctor wouldn't do any harm.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 1:21 pm 

have you tried having a nice hot bath with epsin salts each night? when i was in college dancing everyday it helped me a lot.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 10:22 pm 

Joanne and dance_chicka give very good advice. Being away from classes for five years is a pretty long time. You have only been back for three and a half months. It's going to take a while...Be careful not to push yourself so hard that you develop inflamation problems. Back off and take it a little easier if something bothers you more than you know it should. Be sensible...you'll thank yourself later!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 10:42 am 

Thanks everyone. I have been taking hot baths and found that helps. I guess I'm upset because I'm not really pushing myself too hard. Only taking four classes a week. I want to increase the frequency of classes but haven't been able to, because I'm so achy. I'll keep at it though and hopefully will reach a point where it's not so bad. thanks

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 1:02 pm 

Quote:
I can tell it's plain ol' muscle aches. Is this just a fact of life when you get old? The stiffness, the soreness?
Have you talked to your doctor or a dietitian about your aches and pains? I had new muscle soreness when I started ballet as an adult even after years of sports. Obviously I was working new muscles but I didn't recover as quickly as I used to. It turned out that my diet was not keeping up with the new demands my body had for full recovery. Beyond my body just adjusting, by following specific nutritional recommendations I was able to decrease muscle soreness and fatigue.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 8:34 pm 

HI! Just a reminder, drink plenty of water, this may help too. Actually, drink more than plenty. And dont feel bad, you are back and working hard, four times a week is a good amount, I think, especially as you get back into shape. Keep up the good work!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 6:50 am 

After reading also your 'sinking in the hip' problem, I can really relate to the situation... After having stopped for a while, I was really expecting to be back to the level I was before (or at least, just a little 'unfit' but the same amount of technique).

It turned out that I needed at least a year to fully recover my fitness, and to actually feel back on my feet and with correct technique. I lacked strength, it is only clear to me now... :o Don't push yourself too hard, continue the good work, and don't be too hard on your skills. If you have stopped for a while, expect to go down a notch on your level of strength and fitness. That's only natural... ;)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 8:42 am 

balletowoman,
I understand. The most shocking thing was putting on pointe shoes again for the first time. THAT made me feel very weak. I was told to wear them for barre for a while...they were off my feet before fondu.

I guess I was just concerned that ballet would never feel OK. I was worried that I'd never reach a level of fitness where I'm not sore all the time, because of my age. In retrospect, that's kind of silly. I'm already feeling better and thinking of adding a couple more classes.

Maybe one at a time. :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]