public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:01 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Re: Never been on pointe....
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2001 3:37 am 

NEVER, *EVER* buy your first pair without a teacher!!!! Never!! The teacher knows your feet better than the clerc does, and perhaps, even better than you know them yourself. If you buy the wrong shoes, it is NOT ok! So, just make an appointment with the teacher, and let her find the right shoes for you. Have you already talked about this with your teacher? Did he/she actually said that you have to go and buy shoes? <P>------------------<BR>The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything...<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2001 4:49 am 

I agree - always bring your teacher! Some teachers also will appoint an older, experienced dancer to accompany a new pointe student, if the teacher herself/himself is not available to be there.<P>If you are being fitted for shoes in a good store with a professional fitter, it's highly unlikely that he/she will have to bring out "dozens" of pairs of shoes. Most fitters I've worked with have been able to narrow the selection down to 4 or 5 styles/makes/models simply by looking at my feet. Some fitters will even have you plie, releve, and point your feet without shoes on in order to narrow down the possibilities.<P>Just remember to bring your tights (if you are going to wear them when you're dancing en pointe) and don't purchase any padding until you have checked with your teacher first. Sometimes teachers want their students to use a specific type of padding.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2001 5:18 am 

Hello Armos2004 - welcome to the board - I am glad you have joined us.<P>Your teacher will should recommend a make and style of shoe for you. If at all possible the teacher should accompany you. If not, be sure that the fitter is experienced. When you purchase the shoes before you sew anything on - or wear them - and dirty them - take them to the teacher to have them checked out.<P>Think of widths as well as lengths. It was always my habit to have the clerk bring out just about everything in my size and style because all the shoes are so individual. Your knowledge of what you need and what works for you, slowly increases with time and experience. One way to do that is to try on lots of different shoes. <P>Wearing your tights, as Bree suggested, is a very good idea. There should be a place in the store where you can stand up on your shoes - a place without a carpet - and a small barre to hold onto. <P>Lots of luck - let us know how it goes.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2001 5:07 am 

I always have my students do a grande plie in seconde position to feel where the foot moves in the shoe--if at this position toes are curling it is not a good thing.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2001 9:23 am 

Good advice Jan, my teacher also always says that you have to do a grand plié en pointe.<BR>And by the way Amos, I think that you don´t always find good pointes right away. <BR>You first try some pairs of pointe and you later find out that another kind of pointe are better for your feed. You just have to try it.<BR>

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]