public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:21 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Terminology
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2001 12:07 pm 

Hey There!!<P>Okay I am trying to understand all of the things I need to pass RAD elementry exams and theres one part where I am very lost. I am not sure how to spell it but an unseen un chenma?? Like the combo where she uses the terms and you have to do it? I am so confused with it all... how can I learn it? How do u figure it all out? Thanks!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Terminology
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2001 12:57 pm 

Dancing Lauren - please bear in mind that I am NOT an RAD teacher - but I think you are referring to "Enchainement" pronounced "ahn-shen-mahn - accent on the last syllable. It means "linking". It's a combination of two or more steps that are arranged to fit a phrase of music.<P>It's a combination - a series of steps - an example would be: glissade, jeté, coupé, assemblé.<p>[This message has been edited by Basheva (edited June 06, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2001 1:01 pm 

I am going to move this into Students' Questions, Dancing Lauren - hope that's ok.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2001 12:30 pm 

Yes, I understand that. I just dont understand the names of the steps, for example individually I understand them, is there a way or like a ballet dictionary I can use to help?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2001 12:52 pm 

Yes, of course - Dancing Lauren - there are a number of terrific ballet dictionaries you can buy and some of them quiet inexpensive. Go to a book store - or even Amazon.com.<P>A couple you might look at:<P>"Technical Manual and Dictionary of Classical Ballet" by Gail Grant<P>"The Classic Ballet" by Muriel Stuart.<P>This one is a bit more expensive but excellent:<P>"Classical Ballet Technique" by Gretchen Ward Warren.<P>There are also others in the stores.<P>And there is a ballet dictionary online by ABT - however, it doesn't have all the steps and it takes quite a bit of time to load but here it is:<P><BR><A HREF="http://www.abt.org/library/dictionary/index.html" TARGET=_blank><B>AMERICAN BALLET THEATER DICTIONARY</B></A><P>There are others online too - you can do a search for them.<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2001 1:16 pm 

Do bear in mind Dancing lauren that different schools of thought on ballet may have different names for steps. However something like Gail Grant's manual is quite comprehensive so should have most steps listed.<P>With my teaching society Students can get glossary books which define the steps used in their particular grades the RAD may do something similar. You could look on their website <A HREF="http://www.rad.org.uk" TARGET=_blank>www.rad.org.uk</A> or ask your teacher.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]