public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:44 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Another Question- pointe work
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2001 4:58 pm 

I have been dancing since September, and doing a lot of it since I started. I'm doing a 5-week intensive at one of the best companies where I live (besides the Atlanta Ballet, of course). They say if my ankles are strong enough, I can start pointe class, which is what my dance teacher would have had me do anyway had I gone to another studio. I was wondering, what do you think about me starting so early- I have good teachers, so they wouldn't put me up to anything dangerous. And my legs, ankles and feet are strong, with okay foot construction. I'v eread the "pointe-assessing readiness" thread. I was just wondering what everyone thinks, and what I might run into in this situation, since I'm so new. THanx! Image

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Another Question- pointe work
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2001 5:46 pm 

Bebounce, I am certainly not going to upstage anything your teacher wants you to do.<P>You have read the criteria for assessing pointe work. I personally would be very reluctant to put any student on pointe before that student has had at least a year of work. Actually, that is not quite true - assuming the student is at least 12 yrs. old, I think that student really needs at least two years of training.<P>It is not possible to hurt someone by waiting a bit, but is surely possible to put someone on too early. There is a lot to lose. The body takes time to adapt, for muscles to really strengthen. I don't think a body can gain that much strength in a year, and I don't think the student can be that knowing - both mentally and physically - about placement/alignment in such a short time.<P>As a teacher I wouldn't do it. Sorry, that is my opinion.<BR>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Another Question- pointe work
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2001 7:21 am 

I agree with Basheva too- I wouldn't put anyone on pointe that early - but obviously I can't see how you dance. However even the most natural dancers in the world I would doubt would have the strength or technical knowledge in one year to do pointe work.<P>But that is only my opinion.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]