public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:23 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: ballet bodies
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 3:11 pm 

what is the ideal body type for a ballet dancer?i know i dont have it, but im curious.

Post subject: Re: ballet bodies
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 3:14 pm 

Many - welcome to our board - it's great to have you join us!<P>I am going to take the liberty of moving this down to Students' Questions Forum - I hope you don't mind.....<P>So, go down to that forum and I will see you there....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 3:26 pm 

Mandy - here we are....<P>There really is no ideal body type. There are several attributes that make training easier, just as being intelligent makes training easier.<P>We have had several threads on this subject that you might be interested in:<P><A HREF=../../../ubb/Forum19/HTML/000146.html><B>Body Types and Such</B></A><P><A HREF=../../../ubb/Forum7/HTML/000356.html><B>Body Proportions</B></A><P><BR><A HREF=../../../ubb/Forum3/HTML/000249.html><B>Weight and Aesthetics of the Ballet</B></A><P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2001 7:49 am 

Okay, I just dug up an old textbook from college that describes the "ideal" ballet body type as having a small head, shoulders broader than the hips, a small bust, long arms and legs, slender torso, legs that are not bowed or knock-kneed, hips that are turned out from the hip, flexibility in all joints of the body, ankles very flexible, arches high with flexible feet.<P>Does any dancer have all of these attributes? Of course not. It's what you do with what you have that matters.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2001 12:43 pm 

and also how you respond to music, your musicality. Your sense of yourself in space. How you think - about yourself and others around you. <P>How you incorporate what you are taught, and how your interpret that for yourself. So many more things that physical attributes.<p>[This message has been edited by Basheva (edited August 02, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2001 3:23 pm 

Let's also add general coordination and a natural sense of movement. You could have the "perfect" body but if you can't walk let alone dance it will never happen for you.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2001 3:51 pm 

Good point LMC - I actually had a student like that. When she first came in I thought WOW - what a wonderful body!! <P>But, but, but, she was the most awkward person I ever came across. I actually wondered how she managed to put one foot in front of the other while WALKING without tripping herself.<P>And, to the list in the above posts...I would add...YOU HAVE TO HAVE A FIRE IN THE BELLY..the determination, focus, and dedication. Without that, all the other assets are worthless.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2001 10:34 am 
WELCOME MANDY! Grover Dale who is a well known dancer/actor of stage and screen said its RARE that a dancer has ALL of the qualifications-but they take what they have and dance anyway(check out his column/site answers4dancers).This seems to be true in the ballet world as well if you able to observe dancers VERY closely.THANKS Basheva and LMCtech for your additional comments!<BR>

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]