public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:02 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: extensions
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2001 4:40 am 

I know that I have the flexibility to get my leg to my head but I cant seem to lift it much above 90. I know that I am supposed to use my inner theigh but i cant make it work. When shoulder my leg and let go i can hold it there--i just cant get it there on my own. Any advice? Thanks

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: extensions
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2001 5:22 am 

Yep - I have some advice - the first would be to stop using the word "can't".<P>Here are a couple of threads you might want to read: (please read through the entire threads)<P><BR><A HREF=../../../ubb/Forum7/HTML/000291.html><B>STRETCH AND STRENGTH</B></A><P><BR><A HREF=../../../ubb/Forum7/HTML/000407.html><B>DEVELOPPES</B></A><P><BR>And, no you should never be out of your hip. In my opinion, the teacher should never be physically pushing the student. You have to be able to do it on your own, his pushing doesn't help. <P> If the backs of your knees are feeling the strain, you may be tight back there. There is a point beyond which you cannot go. Most of all you have to have patience and work slowly. Extension, for most of us (there are a lucky few) comes slowly, with thoughtful work. Pushing and straining doesn't do it - that just makes for injury.<P><p>[This message has been edited by Basheva (edited May 06, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2001 7:21 am 

In another thread JLL posted this and I am moving it here to keep all this together if possible - hope that's ok with everyone.<P><BR>JLL said:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I have several students only take 2, 90 minute classes per week in ballet and one or 2 in jazz and one in lyrical.<BR>They are fairly strong, have good technique, and work hard, but because they do not study everyday, their developpe extensions are 90 degrees at best.<P>How would I go about giving them excercises to increase the strength to do this? They would, of course, have to work it on their own, since they are not in class as much as more serious ballet students.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR><p>[This message has been edited by Basheva (edited May 30, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2001 7:28 am 

JLL - in the Stretch and Strength thread there are a couple of ideas in my post of February 7th - you might want to read.<P>If they work on this at home, the danger is that they might not be warmed up enough. I would be concerned about that. <P>What do you think?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2001 7:39 am 

But eh, JLL, i do only 2x a week 60-90 (differs) class, and my extension is much higher than 90'. <BR>I don't think it only depends on how much class you take, also on HOW you take class. And yes, i do practice at home, but I always, always, even if I'm not warmed up properly try to do the thing s I want to do and most of the time I warm up more doing that, but I always stop if I feel pain, not stretch-pain, but pain-pain.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2001 9:10 am 

Anastasia - it troubles me very much to see you say this:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>even if I'm not warmed up properly try to do the thing s I want to do<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <P>It is true you can do many things without warming up properly....for a time...and then one day without warning....injury will occur.<P>This can set into motion a whole series of events; time out from dancing, rehabilitation, stress to other parts of the body (if you are limping in the foot - it can stress the hip). And it can become chronic.<P>Is it worth it? Don't take your young body for granted...take good care of it...please.<P><p>[This message has been edited by Basheva (edited May 30, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2001 12:23 pm 

you aren't just whistling Dixie on this on Besheva. I agree with you whole hardly on stretching out before doing ballet moves. one time when i was practicing at home, i didn't stretch out properly, and ended up pulling my left inner thigh muscle. that was months ago, and it still gives me trouble now and then. i have to make sure i stretch out properly before I do any moves, so as not to hurt my thigh again. I learned my lesson. now i stretch out, and do barr movements before i practice, even at home.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2001 2:53 pm 

Sorry you had to learn the lesson that way, Kim Dawn. Those muscles can take a long time to heal.<P>Back in my early days, in the 18th century, I did a lot of uninformed things (I'm being nice to myself) such as not warming up properly before practicing or choreographing. While I didn't suffer any injuries on the spot, I wonder if some of the chronic problems that ended my performing career actually started way back then. In fact, I don't have to wonder, do I? We know better now. Please, everyone, take care of yourself now; it's your investment in your future.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]